NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with a friend from work who heard about fishing for chain pikeral on ultralights in the Colly Creek branch of the Black river. Looks like this is northwest of wilmington. Anyone ever fished that, or other parts of the black river?

I plan on catching whatever I can out there. I bet a 2-4lb chain pikeral on an ultralight would be exciting!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Hard to catch pickerel in warm weather. They just seem to only wanna bite lures when when the waters kinda cool. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I've caught em on Crappie minnows under a float as I was looking for crappie.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, aside from me capsizing my kayak and losing $60 of gear in that black water, the day was good. Between the two of us we probably caught 24 fish. Biggest hitters were bowfin. My friend caught an 8 and a half pound 30 inch bowfin on an ultralight with 6lb test. I hooked a good sized one the broke my line right at the boat when I went to grab him (we both fished ultalights). We did catch a few jack, mine was the largest at around a pound and 15-17 inches. Other catches were fliers, yellow perch, and warmouth. Will post pictures later.

All of the above were caught on size 2 and 3 Mepps squirrel tail spinners.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great pictures. I am from around Columbus County and it is easy to get into the bowfin. Great fighters. You did an amazing job to land an 8 pound bowfin on 6 pound test. Must of took a long hard fight. Bet it was fun. Thanks for posting.

·
Red X Angler
2,172 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost that gear but a great day out...thanks for posting the pics, what were you using for bait?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are the pics
This is a great post. Can anyone provide advice on where to launch a canoe to get into Colley Creek? I have Paul Ferguson's "Paddling Eastern NC"... says that launching at the 210 bridge is really challenging. I guess that answer is Hunt's Bluff... about 4 miles upstream of the creek. Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
3,765 Posts
Great pics and report. Sorry about your lost gear, but at least you caught some fish. The Black River is beautiful... only been on it once, but it's a neat little river.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts