NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my older son out today to the coast for some fishing with high hopes to catch some big ones and get him excited about fishing. The bad luck started last night when I started rigging some rods for the trip. Was beginning to rig one of my baitcasters for live bait for my son and discovered that my pro qualifier's handle turned, but the spool did not. I have only had it for a year and have always treated it well, hasn't even been used THAT much. Well I haven't investigated that yet so it maybe an easy fix, onward to the next morning.

Put in the boat without event, but as I was heading to my first spot I noticed that my GPS had not yet acquired which it normally would have. I tried to power it off then back on, but still nothing. When we got to the spot I tried to unplug everything, check the pins, and plug back in, still nothing. Well at least the depth, fishfinder and downscan were still working.

Caught some bait with the cast net and let my 10 year old try a few casts as well, he seems to like this more than fishing. He was throwing almost all banana shaped casts but insisted on continuing to try to catch more bait, which he hadn't even started using. In an effort to keep our bait lively, I turned on the aerator and no water was coming in to the livewell, great! Thankfully I can take a plug out of the stack and it'll get 4-5 inches in it simply by letting it in the drain. All was not lost but this was the third problem with just this trip already and it was only about 6:30am. On to the fishing part.

Started throwing topwater of course, then MR17, while my son finally started fishing with some live mullet under a cork. Outgoing tide and wind were against us getting too far into the creek we were in so we decided to troll up a ways fast and drift fish back. TONS of bait, not a single bite. Not to worry, I told my son, this isn't the good spot, we'll hit that in about an hour when the tide changes and starts to push back in there. On to the next spot, which has produced good for me in the past.

Water was way lower than when I had fished it before, but the tide was coming in, I'll give it time. The wind started picking up, really picking up making every cast into something that resembled a semi-circle. Son decided to put a live mullet on a jig head to see if we could coax a flounder into biting. I continued my topwater and MR17 assault. Cast at some points, some channels, some banks and even out into some open bays, trying to cover as much area as I could with banana shaped casts. Fighting the wind and the overwhelming smell of skunk, we decided to make our exit early in hopes of salvaging at least part of the day.

Great day for me, cause I got to spend it with my son, but I feel so badly for him that we couldn't even manage one bite (this is somewhat normal for me, but my son doesn't know that, ssshhhhh). Hopefully he'll forget about this and want to come with me again some time. Guess you can't win 'em all.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the fish will bite on windy days, I just don't know the techniques required to make it work for me. I posted a question a while back about fishing in the wind and was quickly assured that fish do in fact bite on windy days, some times even bite A LOT. I think my biggest problem is being able to find where the fish are, or at least know when to abandon a spot because they aren't. My boat is small, light, very shallow draft, and a mostly flat bottom, so the wind seems to move it easily. I'll have to ask the breadman if there is anything he does differently when it is windy, that is if I ever get the opportunity and $ to hire him.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Stiff wind plagues and vexes me. Anyone who has fished with me will probably confirm that; wind especially vexes me in saltwater, so I will say that while I am truly sympathetic and sorry that your day went the way it did fishing-wise, I will also say that you're not the only one.

Hopefully your boy will go with you again. Put a hand on his shoulder, look him in the eye, and tell him that courage and determination are defined by the willingness to try again despite rotten luck the first time, and that you'll be proud to go with him again to show Lady Luck that you're both less fickle than she is! Luck is supposed to be random so in theory that should increase your odds of better conditions next time, and if your boy will go again, hopefully he gets into some fish. The bright side is that if he does go again, starting with a bad day and following with a better one is actually better for longevity with the sport than the other way around... If someone goes a second time despite a rocky first outing, that's just good juju.

The bad luck with equipment just sounds like Murphy was in your boat that day. Hopefully he stays elsewhere next time. I don't particularly care for his Law, although I have been hit with it more than once myself. Again, sympathy on that, I feel your pain.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
The wind makes it tough unless you can line up to let it blow you across the main points on Kerr Scott. Then you can set back and watch John pull in the scrappiest 5 pound spot that I have ever seen.

I lost a 4 or 5 pounder (the only fish I hooked) had something give way on my Quantum baitcaster and burned up the power head on my little 40 Merc. But a nice guy in a canoe got out and hooked up the trailer winch and cranked the boat on for me so I didn't have to get my feet wet.

Darrell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.