NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for recommendations on PFDs for nearshore fishing. I only venture a few miles out when I go into the ocean and do the vast majority of my fishing inshore. I'm looking for something comfortable, stowable, good quality and of course reliable. I don't want the inflatable type, they are just too expensive for my purposes but I don't mind spending a little more for good quality non-inflatable.

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
What are the rules for pfds? Does one have to be worn? Are cushions approved for pfds satisfactory..?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the rules for pfds? Does one have to be worn? Are cushions approved for pfds satisfactory..?

Here are the PFD rules: http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/life_jacket_wear_wearing_your_life_jacket.aspx. You have to have one throwable device, which oftentimes is a cushion.
I have been looking at kayak PFDs, Stohlquist seems to make some nice ones but I haven't tried any of them on yet. They do seem to be more low profile and have more adjustments than some of the others.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
It looks like the throwable type IV won't satisfy the pfd requirements for a kayak. Also these are not required at all for vessels under 16'.
I find it very irritating that I am required to purchase and carry a pfd for my kayak. I fish in very shallow water, I can swim for literally miles and the chances of me falling out of my kayak and getting hit in the head or run over by another vessel are minute. Wearing one, for me, is out of the question. It would be too bulky and hot. I guess I'll find the cheapest one I can find and place it somewhere that isn't going to take room away which is a joke in a kayak. Stowing it will open me up to a summons. More government bs trying to make me protect myself from myself.
I do feel safety is not something to be overlooked or taken lightly but I also feel there should be some allowances for certain types of fishing. I suspect we will be seeing these being required for surf and pier fisherman at some not too distant time. After that swimmers will be required and then who knows? Maybe they will require that fish start wearing them. Wait, that won't happen. Fish don't vote.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts