NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a cheapo fly reel not too long ago (single action, disk drag) now only one direction will click when reeling and that's the same direction that'll tighten when the drag is increased, the other direction will remain un-hamperd and as smooth as silk and is silent. Now I would assume I would want the the "forwards" reeling motion to be the silent end and the drag (backwards) to be the clicking direction unless there's an way to screw around with the reel to make the reel click when retrieving line and have the drag silent, I don't care either way, when I was an child I thought I remeberd owning an cheap reel that clicked both ways, but whatever:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Couldn't tell you without looking at it but I am familiar with these cheap reels because I have always fished with them. If you remove the spool, it is possible that you will find a a set of springs that are holding a clicker that is offset in one direction or the other. You should be able to move the direction of the pointer to the other direction. Concerning clicking, it probably shouldn't click a lot either way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It depends on which hand you want to reel with. Most reels click as the drag is pulled against, but not all do. I have a nice (expensive) reel that clicks both ways, which is a bit annoying. If you move the clicker, as mentioned above, it will likely also change the direction of the drag, and thus the hand that you would reel with.

I know this is a bit of a confusing explanation but hope you get the idea.

Regards,
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.