NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked around and this looked as good as anyplace to put this question out.

It is my understanding that the "powers to be" in Raleigh have changed the laws on conceal and carry of sidearms on the intercoastal water ways of NC.

Yet, when I Google the subject.....zip.

Is anyone aware of what the changes actually are? I have heard "rumor" that the new laws TOTALLY prohibit the carry of side arms ....or any other kind of weapons....on a boat on the intercoastal water ways of NC.

Curious to see if anyone knows anything.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I do not know about it, but where exactly did you get your 'understanding' from?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know about it, but where exactly did you get your 'understanding' from?
I read an article on the internet when I was looking at getting my CCH license. It stated that the laws regarding the carrying of concealed weapons on the intercoastal water ways of NC was totally forbiggen due to current law changes. But, as I indicated, I could find nothing on these changes.

Was just curious if anyone was more in the know than me.

I will be taking my CCH course in Jan and have already sent an email to the instructor asking him to use his connections to see what he can find out....but who knows.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A new turn of events. I just went by the Sheriffs office to pick up the forms for the CCH and was informed people in NC now have to undergo a psychological evaluation as part of the application process.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
That's odd they didn't say anything about it when I turned my paperwork in the week before last. Only thing they said was that they have to run a scan of local mental hospital databases to make sure you haven't been a patient.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
A new turn of events. I just went by the Sheriffs office to pick up the forms for the CCH and was informed people in NC now have to undergo a psychological evaluation as part of the application process.
In Buncombe county they check with the three nearest mental health hospitals. The sheriff contacts Blue Ridge and Broughton, and you have to pay 15.00 extra bucks for Mission/Copestone:rolleyes:. It has been streamlined. I had my ok in less than two months. Can't speak for other counties.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Believe the others are right, you must have misunderstood. They evaluate your psychological history, they do not administer an additional evaluation of your current psychological health. Of course it could all depend on how you acted and what you asked them while you were there. :)
Section III, Part C of document Frudaddy linked above.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You may have misunderstood, or your sheriff may be wrong. I have never heard of a mental evaluation, however they do a medical history including mental health facilities. This would be to verify that you have not been involuntarily committed. I believe that the involuntary commitment is the disqualifying factor. If you are asked to meet with a psychiatrist for an evaluation, try to get it in writing and contact Grass Roots North Carolina. Also, Swampin is mistaken, while the sheriff does have discretion with the PPP, the CHP is shall issue in NC, which mean it must be approved unless there is evidence that an applicant isn't legally eligible.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE....

Took the course this Sunday and took paperwork into Hoke Co. Sheriffs office this morning. They kept the original class completion cert and sent me with a form to a mental health facility in Raeford. All they did was take the form, $10 and said they would be sending the results of their info search to the police. I didnt have to sit down and "talk" to anyone.
So, in about 45 days I should be receiving my CCH card.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you look on the NC wildlife page, it state some rules for CCW. It gives several boat ramps where carrying is prohibited. Outside of that and state/local laws, I don't see how you could be found guilty of any wrong doing considering you cant find anything in writing saying what is prohibited.

Maybe a call to the Marine Patrol or the wildlife officers would be helpful, seeing how they would be the ones to be checking you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.