NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have recently moved to concord mills area NC from out of state and I am looking for fishing spots nearby that are good for fishing from a kayak. My comfort zone is bass fishing shallow murky almost swampy type waters for bass, however I am all for learning new types of fishing. Fishing for catfish has interested me as well as they seem to be the largest catch for freshwater in many areas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
This is an IMO post....

From Concord, you are halfway between the catawba river chain of lakes (Lake Norman and Mountain Island are closest to you). They are east of you, on the other side of I-77. Lake Norman is prone to jet skiers and wakeboard boats, and it's a huge lake. Good kayak put in spots on the east side of the lake include Stumpy Creek and Lake Norman state park (north of you).

Mountain Island is more riverine, it's got some nice shallow spots. A bit more kayak friendly. I've never put in there.

West of you, though, you have the Yadkin chain. High Rock, Tuckertown, and Badin are within 45 minutes of Concord. I'd consider putting in on Tuckertown, just below the High Rock Dam (Nice put in 1/4 mile south of dam), and fish the creeks nearby.

Shallow and swampy... Not much around there. Most lakes in this part of the state are man-made, and when they do it, they go deep.

I THINK the lake near the Kannapolis Baseball stadium has a public launch.... Never been there, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing small boats on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I managed to get out on lake norman. Caught 2 bass of a species I am not familiar with. They looked like a regular largemouth but lighter color skin. Almost completely white on the belly. Caught them both in the first 15 minutes and then blanked after that. It seemed that when the clouds rolled in heavy the bite stopped. I have a lot to learn about fishing in this area.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Definitely spotted (Kentucky) bass. Look like a largemouth, fights like a small mouth! Norman is full of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Keep in mind bass will take on coloring of their surroundings. Bass from around rocks or deeper water may be almost entirely silver, while ones taken from heavy vegetation can be a very rich green color, and a few shades in between. If you're fishing on any of the Catawba chain lakes, H2ohh is right... check out pictures of Spotted Bass compared to Largemouth, since those lakes are full of both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts