NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fish the ponds at Cone park near Boone and if so how was it? Any other spots near Boone you can fish wading or from the bank?

·
Registered
691 Posts
The smaller ponds are tough fishing, light line (6# or less) with a drop shot will get a Bass now and again, mostly early and late. Downsized plastics in natural colors usually best. The last hour of daylight has been by far the best for me. Bass bugs on fly rod can work when a hatch is going, if you fly fish or use a bubble with spinning gear.

There are some Trout in the ponds, but are usually really tough to catch.

Some bream are there as well, beetle spins and small jigs will get some of those.

I will include info on the big lake just in case. The last Trout stocking of the big lake is usually in June. Typical stock Trout tecniques work for these (Powerbait, spinners, and small jigs). The holdovers will bite early and late, but catching them is sporadic. FYI, there are too many stunted bream and catfish in the shallow portions. I know you mentioned bank fishing, but you can also rent kayaks and maybe canoes on the lake.

I have not fished the creeks around there in a long time, but you can wade and bank fish the creeks going into and out of the big lake. I think those are delayed harvest, so verify and fish according.

Good fishing,

Fishscalz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts