NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've enjoyed fishing both rivers but always wanted to see the convergence where the Cape Fear begins. This morning at sunrise I launched solo from Highway 42 and paddled upriver while prepared to cast into a top water blitz that never appeared. With little current and an overcast sky, the round trip took about 4 hours. Folks this is a nice scenic stretch of what is already a large river. If you take the trip, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I am amazed that more people don't take advantage of the paddling opportunities that the peidmont and coastal plain rivers provide. I am really glad you posted your report. Thanks. Did you encounter any other paddlers?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sinker Man,
Talked at length with two paddlers. Then a guy in his jonboat with son stopped to chat. He has two kayaks but need a fishing boat to introduce fishing to his adolescent. Hopefully he was making some nice memories. I just love being on the water in piedmont NC and coastal SC.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I know you've been wanting to get down there for a while. Glad you did it and thanks for scouting the area. Sounds like the uphill paddling wasn't a problem at all. A couple questions:
  • What were the water depths like in that section of the river?
  • Is there much good fish-holding cover or visible structure in the water?
  • How far did you go?
Gonna have to go do some google-earthing and figure out where that is again.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I fished this stretch water alot several years ago and caught some of my biggest bass from that area. I was just talking to AL K the other day about how I needed to give it another try. The Crappie and White Bass fishing used to be really good as well. Especially ,in the stretch from the Jordan to the Mouth of the Deep River.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maptech : Topo Maps Charts Navigation Software GPS and Online MapServer

Type in Moncure North carolina which is where Deep & Haw converge to form Cape Fear. Follow the river south and arrive at McKay Island. Just beyond the island's north end note there is a ditch running into the river from the east. Then the ditch turns south and goes all the way to Buckhorn Dam. I was told that with a kayak or canoe one can travel this old discharge canal from the coal plant at the convergence. There is also access to the canal from the parking lot on Highway 42.

My next trip down will cover the area from Highway 42 to Buckhorn Dam which is approximately 2 miles one way. Anyone interested in joining to explore?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Your right Rockfish, I know there's one dam/water fall there at Buckhorn to the east of the bridge and wildlife access there off 42 at the Lee County line.

Water level in that part of the Cape Fear is up right now, I drove thru Buckhorn Friday morning and drove down to the dam area there, lot's of debri up against the rolling dam right now and looked to be a pretty good rolling of water as well.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Dams are especially great in the hot summer months because they cool and oxygenate the water so fish congregate near/below those areas as long as there is flow and adequate depth..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actually .. I was beneath the Buckhorn Dam yesterday. Did some of my best bass fishing I've done in recent months. Of course all things being relative .. the fish Lefty has shown on his avatar would be a world record. 6 out of 7 fish (in 2 Hrs) fit in the palm of my hand, but boy we're they fighters ... :) pulled out 1 1-1/2 < 2 Lb'r

The water level beneath the dam is down 2.5 - 3ft .. if you choose to go be prepared to scuff the bottom's of you boats. The fish are holding on the down stream side of
the rocks. The hot lure was a shallow running (1 - 6") shad look alike "lil bandit" w/ a yellow belly.

The hot area was about 1000' yrds down stream .. where the river has become a rock garden ... if you can hear the rapids your there.

Obviously .. if your results are the same your not going to catch dinner .. but if your desperate to break the slump we've (all except Jeff of course) have been seemingly having, or you want to entertain a child, or see some beautiful country .. it'd be worthwhile.

With regard to the area above the dam .. the river banks are littered w/ an awesome amount of structure/overhangs .. Ideal bass environment .. but judging from the number of tourney "flags" .. it's very pressured.

Beneath the dam is much less fished and offers much the same environment ..

also to those interested .. there were some pretty sizable hybrids attempting to learn how to fly yesterday .. wasn't fortunate enouph to hook into one of those ...

Note .. I was there midday .. full sun .. but we did have that front come through ..

·
Registered
99 Posts
One other thing ..
If you want to hit the confluence .. and your moderately couragous .. and have a 4x4 w/ clearance .. there is a put in (and I use the word lightly) at old # 1 and both the Deep and Haw .. if I were to choose .. it'd be the Deep ..

a one mile row down stream vs a 4 mile upstream .. not that flow has much of an impact .. water is VERY slow .. downstream of the confluence .. but somewhat faster upstream of it ..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at Old us 1/ Haw & Deep on Saturday. The only possibility I could find was on the Deep but poison ivy and vertical distance at waters edge were very discouraging. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I'm enthusiastic about some below-dam fishing - either below the deep just west of hwy 1 or below buckhorn. I'm a little less enthusiastic about the 4-5mi uphill paddle from the 42 launch to the dam on the deep, but if somebody wants to do it, I could be talked into it...

Let's get something put together to get to one or the other or both. I'll kayak, wade/rock hop or whatever...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
In general I like the sound of Tuesday evening... but unfortunately not THIS tuesday...

What are those areas like on weekends? Are they accessible to motor-powered watercraft? <cringe> Holiday weekend coming up....

·
Registered
99 Posts
any sane person would not take a gas powered boat in there .. I do see some jon boats w/ electrics ..
generally I'm the only one there .. this time of year .. when the hybrids/stripers run it's a bit more crowded ..
the area is also a local party spot it seems ..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.