NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
this is sad. you would think they would do something to help matters. If they don't this could affect the whole water system.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree. What can we do that doesn't cost much money. I am disabled and don't have the disposable income. But if there is anything else I can do, emailing, phone calls, or fliers, I will do what I can. I just don't know what to do or who to contact. It's easy to ignore this if you don't live in the area that is contaminated, but eventually, left unchecked, this problem will affect us all. Looking for some guidance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I will start this thing, I will do some research to see if we can narrow down the problem and what has already been done (and what hasn't). I will post what I figure our here and we can go from there. I live 7 miles from Crabtree and never fish there because of this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they could just stop the pollutants from going in in the 1st place the creeks and lakes will eventually clean themselves. Nature has a remarkable ability for doing that.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well should we as concerned anglers organize somthing to try to get something done, anyone? I'm game but I cant do it alone.
Ward Transformer is the original poluter. they are gone and now it falls on the EPA (funded by your and my federal tax dollars) to do something. However, you know how fast (read very slow) the fed. does these things.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well I will start this thing, I will do some research to see if we can narrow down the problem and what has already been done (and what hasn't). I will post what I figure our here and we can go from there. I live 7 miles from Crabtree and never fish there because of this.
Bank and Surf, I don't live in that area. I live at the coast of NC. (Surf City, Topsail Island) but this is everyones problem. I have a fishing website, fishintopsail.com that is somewhat popular, (over 30,000 unique hits in the past 12 months, a lot of these hits are from your area) and I would be open to using the site to help get the word out about this problem. Thank you for getting this started. Keep in touch and let us know what needs to be done.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The 'related article' link states that as of the Summer of '05, the EPA planned to begin the cleanup work in the fall of '05. I'm sure that kind of project does not take place overnight -- that article did not indicate an expected completion date. Anybody got any idea where to look for a status report?

If, for example, they claim to be six months ahead of schedule on a ten-year project, I don't have the environmental-science background to argue with 'em... Either about the progress or the estimated completion date. On the other hand, if they haven't started, it would indeed be nice to know what got in the way.

Reactions: FishinTopsail

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I totally agree Lefty. Maybe someone could contact the station that ran the article. Maybe they can do a follow up on it if we show enough interest. In the follow up they might get these answers faster then we can.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've actually left a voicemail message with NC Division of Waste Mgmt asking for someone to whom I can ask some progress questions. The type of things I was planning to ask were:
  • Has the project actually started?
  • Is it on schedule, and what is the scheduled completion date?
  • Will the fishery need time to "heal" after the cleanup project is complete?
  • What can a concerned member of the public do to help?
I've drafted just a little more thorough list of questions, but this provides the gist of the interview I'm pursuing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking to get into the newspaper again Lefy? :D

I've actually left a voicemail message with NC Division of Waste Mgmt asking for someone to whom I can ask some progress questions. The type of things I was planning to ask were:
  • Has the project actually started?
  • Is it on schedule, and what is the scheduled completion date?
  • Will the fishery need time to "heal" after the cleanup project is complete?
  • What can a concerned member of the public do to help?
I've drafted just a little more thorough list of questions, but this provides the gist of the interview I'm pursuing.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If he wants to be the lead stick, I mean man, I'm all for it. I don't need face time or else they'd have to change the camera to compensate. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok so according to the EPA clean up was supposed to begin Early in 2007.

Ward Transformer NPL Site Summary - Land Cleanup and Wastes | Region 4 | US EPA

I think we should try to get the media involved. I can contact WRAL (I have a contact there I am a Private Investigator) and see if they can pursue the issue. Any other thoughts. I think public pressure is the only way to get them to move on this thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am glad it is being monitored however, all the testing in the world is not by itself going to make the water cleaner. The EPA has been testing for a while now, and the water is still contaminated. Everyone knows the water is contaminated but some aggressive action needs to be taken. (Sorry I am venting)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.