NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested, I am planning a kayak/canoe float down the Contentnea Creek for shad (and stripers?) between the snowhill area and Grifton. There are several areas to put in/take out. If anyone has any info or would like to join please reply. Target date will be a Sunday in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny,I jumped on here to ask about shad fishing in the weeks coming up as well. My friend from Winston(where I live now) and I want to plan a trip down to do some fishing back home for me. He has never been shad fishing,and I believe I have forgotten!!! If the timing is right,I'd love to go. I even pondered doing a overnight trip on the creek,if anyone is up for that?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wetlexan .. as a reminder on how to fish for shad read Scott Hobb's post Shad 101.

Right now I am looking at Sunday the 15th or 22nd. preferences?

There is about 40 miles of creek between snowhill and grifton and 4 launches that i know so expect a 7-10 mile float. Weather is the biggest factor here. I know the american shad run all the way to Wilson, but when is always the question.

Logistics- meet at launch, drop off gear leaving someone to watch, go park car(s) at pick up, drive a crowded car to launch, float, fish, drive a crowded car to launch leaving someone to watch, return to load yaks.
This is of course subject to change if a trailer is involved.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hookerton to edwards bridge float - 8.25 miles

Snow hill to hookerton- 11 miles

Edwards bridge to Grifton- 8.5 miles

Contentnea Creek campground in Grifton is $10-$15 a night open year round for those interested

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I am free both weekends.

How do the three runs compare? Any of them not as susceptible to high water? One tighter than another? Better to wait for reports before selecting the run?

I guess a look at google maps will help. I'm thinking the OT 119 would be better than my BigRig. Ir maybe the wifes yak.

mikeski

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I listed them in order of fishing preference. The more bends,more current, more fish is the theory on that one. I am looking at doing a pre run wednesday from hookerton to edwards bridge which is my prefered path.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yup, google shows me that is one crooked creek. And it looks like some trees in the way. At least when the shots were taken. That's a nice looking ramp in Hookerton too.

I will be taking the OT 119 I believe.

I would be looking to head back after getting off the water. Or after a food stop.

mikeski

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Seems like I remember putting in at Snow Hill once with tarheel fly flinger a few years back, and there was a lot of debris in the creek, just upstream of Snow Hill, but my memory is a bit fuzzy here. Just sent tarheel fly flinger a PM to see if he is available to offer some assistance. Not sure when he'll see the PM, but I'll also call him later today.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Some of our largest White Shad we caught were at the Boat ramp in Snow Hill! I usually catch mainly Hickories on the fly but my son caught one White that was close to 5 lbs. Remember if the water level is up the current will be fast in this section! Grifton will be easier to fish ....its wider and the flow will be at a slower rate. Another hot spot is the junction of Little Contentnea and Contentnea . I will be interested but need to CK the water conditions near your launch date . Please keep me in the loop and if I can help just let me know.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.