NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it was last week but here is my report. WE fished from skiff with natural baits, plugs, storebought gulp and fishbites shallow flats, creeks ditches, bridges, and bays of the Core Sounds both north(Cedar Island) and south Nelson Bay) of Atlantic, NC. We caught one 12 inch trout. Yep, one fish.
So we decided to surf fish Portsmouth IS. We found a deep hole and caught one Smoothe Dogfish. We saw two toads and one puppy drum 24" in a cooler of some pals. You couldn't even buy a shrimp burger at the grill in Atlantic. The Core Sound is a beautiful place though.
So we went home to Lake Norman and topped off the freezer with cow perch and blue cat fillets.;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You did better than most carpenter!
Wow, lot's of work for the one trout.

And yeah, what was the deal with all the restraunts?? Same thing down in Wrightsville and Southport Easter weekend.

Debatin right now whether to give it anohter shot this coming weekend out of Wrightsville, weathers lookin o.k..... and momma and the boys dont come back from Fla till Sunday.... so might try to sneak out Fri/Sat

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Andy--- Sorry to hear your fishing trip down east was unproductive. I left Atlantic on Apr. 8. The previous two weeks was some of the best early spring fishing in quite some time. A big trout bite will turn off like a light switch with a change of wind speed or direction. All I can add is that sometimes you just have to be there at the very time it is happening. As for eating out down east, not much offered beyond Harkers Island. Matter of fact my wife and I ate lunch at one of our former favorite places on MHC waterfront recently --left 45 dollars poorer and still hungry. Glad your entire week wasn't a washout.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry we missed you down east. I hope your diversion was smooth and painless. As far as fishing goes, you left at a good time. My home waters of Lake Norman turned off too. The perch bite, unlike several weeks ago, is intermittent now. My friend told me that the deep water little bridge just before Cedar Island produced record numbers of trout the day after we left. We fished it throughly with popping corks and multiple baits, and notta. They must have heard us leaving. The local guys in Atlantic were very nice to us visitors and we would love to come back someday. It is probably just as well that we didn't catch much. I would have been very distraught having to go home if the fish were biting. The Blue Jeep guy along 70 in Morehead always sends us home with some pretty good seafood at reasonable prices. If you ever want to come eat some white perch with me, You won't leave hungry! :)
Thanks again,
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.