NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's dove season. I missed opening day because I was at the beach. This year dove season goes all the way into January. I have a pasture and was thinkin about plantin corn or sunflowers for dove huntin. So here's my question, is it to late to plant corn?

·
Registered
229 Posts
to late to plant anything ,and far as dumping seeds on ground, good way to get high fine and lose licsense if caught, heard ten days to hunt it after seeds are gone, but if man catches you hunting it and few seeds still there without it being planted,mandatory court appearance. wait till next year plant it in sun flowers.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Spillage from normal farm operation is legal.
You don't have time for corn to yield and dry.
If I still bothered to hunt I would have sat opening day out. Too hot. Based on what I heard around home, everybody was doing a lot of nothing.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The Much better dove hunting is to come. The only good thing about opening day was the amount of people.
If you can get a group of guys together around a good field in good weather, you can keep them flying.
I would typically go through 3/4 to a case of shells in a day. The more shooting the more they fly. See three birds clear the tree line 300 yards away, hammer away. A lot of times you can get them to turn instead of flying that straight line from tree to tree.
We never counted shells. We just stacked the cases of shells on the tailgate and let er rip. I usually alternated between 2 or 3 shotguns. They would get blistering hot.

Opening day is too early but it would interfere with deer hunting otherwise.
Seen birds flying in late October and into November that would have made the best dove hunts I've ever thought about having but at that point everybody's interests are somewhere else.

As far as eating, never been a big fan of dove. It's like a bluefish. one meal a year is good enough for me.
Quail on the other hand, I could eat a coupla times a week. Fried quail, rice, and quail gravy. A bobwhite was created to be dunked in flour and tossed in a frying pan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.