NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, this is the skinny, my fishing experience offshore is limited to one trip 15 years ago in the Norfolk Canyon. I caught Wahoo. I have been fishing and the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac and Patuxent rivers all my life. It was more than 15 years ago when I finished for blue, striped bass and other biggies in the bay. Then I got sick, and have forgotten most of what I knew of fishing in bigger waters. For the past five years I have only fished in the rivers. Memorial week I finished Murrells Inlet with no luck! Actually, I didn't get much fishing time...mostly tested my new equipment. Next week I'm going to Fort Fisher to meet and greet with the anglers who fish from kayaks. I'm taking my rigged sit in. I'm taking my new bait runner spinning Reel and a heavy-duty Penn trolling reel that I got in 1972. Just so I don't waste a lot of time and spend a lot of money can you guys tell me what rigs and supplies I need to take with me and the best way to fish out of the kayak at Fort Fisher? My Pungo 120 has three rod holders, out-riggers for stability, an anchor trolley system and a Eagle Cuda 250 fish finder/GPS.:confused:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Glenn
Here are a few widely-recommended suggestions.
  1. Gulp shrimp on jigheads, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 oz, bounce 'em around the oysters.
  2. Real shrimp, also close to the bottom
  3. If you can get some live mullet or other baitfish, let them wander around the deeper channels at whatever depth you consider lucky that day.
For some variety, you can toss some Gulp pogies or something that swims... I'm thinking about trying some Gulp carolina-rigged instead of jigheadded...

There are several flats and sandbars on which you can dismount to wade and look for baitfish if you've got a cast net.

Of course, with a few exceptions, there's no such thing as "incorrect".

Hope it helps
Lefty

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Agree with lefty on this, especially #1. 3" shrimp have been good to me - middle colors like natural and new penny.

Since its red season, you might add some weightless or lightly weighted soft jerkbaits to cast at visible fish.

For the potential of live minnows I'd bring some kind of circle hooks - maybe #1 size for drum & flounder (somebody correct me if I'm going too small there)...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I like the new picture, Glenn.

My first yak-fishing coach advised me to give the fish as many chances as possible to join me in the yak. Which means, before you paddle back to the ramp, throw something overboard and let it drag. I can't say I'm 100% diligent to that advice, but if I've got something tied on that I don't expect to snag every other stroke, I'll probably troll it. The only thing it'd hurt is if it gets snagged.

I caught my 15" speck in last year's CFK tourney while trolling back to the ramp.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It's not a bad idea to have a floater/diver out when you are going from spot to spot. Leave the heavy stuff at home. A couple of 10lb spinning outfits or lighter is the way to go. 15 is plenty heavy on the outside but I don't know about trying that in a Pungo. I surely wouldn't reccommend it. Try a couple of different rapalas and rebels in the 2 1/2"-5" range and see what your feelings are. They add a little extra drag but if I have a ways to paddle I generally put one out. Yozuri crystal minnows in clear water near the deeper inlets might get you a spanish or two. Go to google click on maps home in on ft.fisher then click hybrid to get a good picture of the area. Zoom is your friend!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glenn,

Like you in the experience kayak fishing, I primarily fish fresh water for bass. I had my first opportunity to fish the saltwater about a month ago in Ocean Isle Beach. I tried the marsh and saw fish, which I think were mullet, all over. Saw a lot of things hitting topwater too. Casted weighted & non-weighted 3" shrimp gulps, yozuri crystal minnow, and weighted & non-weighted 3" pogy gulps. No luck.

I went to trolling out in the ocean. I was running parallel to the beach w/ a yozuri crystal minnow, yellow silver color (got from Dicks sports), and was about as far out as the pier. No luck.

I talked to a guy in a zodiac chasing the parasailers. He told me to go out about 3x as far and troll. I thought he was trying to get rid of me, but I was looking for a spanish. He said there was a lot of activity out there. Anyway, trolled out there, and as soon as I got out as far as he said, BAM, something hit my lure. Had a 7 ft. Med-Heavy action rod w/ 30 lb flouro leader. My rod almost hit me in the head. Anyway whatever it was sheared my leader where it met the mono.

Next day, I switched to braided line w/ 30 lb flouro leader. Trolled for awhile, but there were no real schools of fish to troll near, just occasional jumping blue or spanish. I decided to wait for fish to pass me by, as I was tired of trolling for 40 min with nothing. Saw 3 or so spanish break the top of the water and casted a freshwater Rapala X-Rap at them. Once again, the rod doubled over, but this time it about flipped me. Long story short, thought I had a big king as I was almost flipped 2 times and spooled 2 times, and fought the fish for 30 min.

Never got to see it, but opened my bail and paddled in towards shore, as I was getting dragged out and was 1.5 miles or so from the beach. I would paddle in and reel in to wear the fish out. Got to the surf and hopped off the yak and finished the fight from shore.

Well, it wasn't a King, or a Spanish, but to answer your question, yes, you can use freshwater plugs to catch fish while trolling...just make sure to use strong leader. Just don't know what kind of fish you will catch.

I got a shark.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I have just made arrangements to pick up and adventure Island. I have a fully rigged Pungo 120 sit in that I do not want to try taking in the ocean. I figure that I can troll and bottom fish with the AI. Also, I've got the desire to fish a couple miles offshore with it. my Pungo will be in reserve for Lakes and smaller rivers.
I can't wait to have a fishing experience like you had. Way you go!:D:)
By the way, did I understand used to say that you went three times the distance from the pier or 3 miles from shore.
Glenn,

Like you in the experience kayak fishing, I primarily fish fresh water for bass. I had my first opportunity to fish the saltwater about a month ago in Ocean Isle Beach. I tried the marsh and saw fish, which I think were mullet, all over. Saw a lot of things hitting topwater too. Casted weighted & non-weighted 3" shrimp gulps, yozuri crystal minnow, and weighted & non-weighted 3" pogy gulps. No luck.

I went to trolling out in the ocean. I was running parallel to the beach w/ a yozuri crystal minnow, yellow silver color (got from Dicks sports), and was about as far out as the pier. No luck.

I talked to a guy in a zodiac chasing the parasailers. He told me to go out about 3x as far and troll. I thought he was trying to get rid of me, but I was looking for a spanish. He said there was a lot of activity out there. Anyway, trolled out there, and as soon as I got out as far as he said, BAM, something hit my lure. Had a 7 ft. Med-Heavy action rod w/ 30 lb flouro leader. My rod almost hit me in the head. Anyway whatever it was sheared my leader where it met the mono.

Next day, I switched to braided line w/ 30 lb flouro leader. Trolled for awhile, but there were no real schools of fish to troll near, just occasional jumping blue or spanish. I decided to wait for fish to pass me by, as I was tired of trolling for 40 min with nothing. Saw 3 or so spanish break the top of the water and casted a freshwater Rapala X-Rap at them. Once again, the rod doubled over, but this time it about flipped me. Long story short, thought I had a big king as I was almost flipped 2 times and spooled 2 times, and fought the fish for 30 min.

Never got to see it, but opened my bail and paddled in towards shore, as I was getting dragged out and was 1.5 miles or so from the beach. I would paddle in and reel in to wear the fish out. Got to the surf and hopped off the yak and finished the fight from shore.

Well, it wasn't a King, or a Spanish, but to answer your question, yes, you can use freshwater plugs to catch fish while trolling...just make sure to use strong leader. Just don't know what kind of fish you will catch.

I got a shark.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went about 2 miles, no way for me to tell really, but my wife and inlaws said it was very far. I was a speck on the horizon. It took about 20 minutes to paddle out there. My advise is either bring a big pair of plyers or a hook disengager, as I didn't know what I had on, but would never have been able to get it on the boat & dehooked. As I was using a lure, I didn't want to lose it, so I just paddled in. Also, it charged the kayak and got under me and almost flipped me 2 times. I was kind of nervous as I didn't know what I had on. I decided to give it plenty of line after that. I also had to loosen the drag way down so when I reeled in it didn't have the resistance to flip me. Very fun and felt refreshing when I was done.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey sncsurf,
I've got no interest in tangling with sharks - boat or shore, but especially from a kayak - and have not had the misfortune yet. I hold them in distain worse than any freshwater trash fish, nuisance ducks, tail smacking beavers, and even jet-skiers. But an obligatory cost of doing business in the salt. I still wanna see a picture of yours - did you get any?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of years ago, Good Morning America had a blurb about a 12 year old, who was kayak fishing in the Atlantic off of New Jersey. He hooked a large drum (I can't remember the size, but if 30 to 50 pounds sounds realistic, that's what it was). Anyway, the fish towed him for 30 minutes. I always thought that would be cool. I bought an Adventure Island to do it in because I know that it will not tip over. You must be young, I'm 57 and had a bad stroke 10 years ago. I'm in good health, and pretty good shape, but not as confident or a strong as I was in the early 90s.:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hey sncsurf,
I've got no interest in tangling with sharks - boat or shore, but especially from a kayak
At some point, you'll have to decide your favorite lure ain't worth it, and your quick-draw dive knife will come in handy.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
makes me think of Hemingway..."Old man and the sea" fish drags the boat offshore and he has to survive to get back...LOL..

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Glenn, now you see what I was saying about 15lb test being plenty don't you? Heavy gear could spell trouble and you don't need trouble out on the ocean. You want to keep your drag settings light like you would for king mackerel and let the fish pull drag until he is well away from the boat. At that point you can tighten down enough for him to tow you around but you need to back off again when you have him close to the yak. You really need a gaff & A LANDING NET!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.