NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about Costa Sunglasses if you guys could help me with and answer. I am looking at the Costa Fantail 580G sunglasses. I usually fish inshore for reds, trout and flounder around Southport and Oak island, NC and also freshwater bass fish in Jordan, Badin, Tillery, and Tuckertown Lakes. The water around OKI, Southport and around Bald Head Island always seems to have a copper like color to it due to the Cape Fear River running into that area. Anyway, I was debating on buying the blue mirror (gray based) and mainly because I liked them the best. I wasn't sure if anyone could recommend another color glass lens for that area, like the green mirror, amber mirror, etc. Which do you think are the best sunglasses for the area described. Thanks in advance!!

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
Ok I have two pairs and just ordered my third last night and will be here tomorrow http://www.backcountry.com/costa-seadrift-polarized-sunglasses-580-polycarbonate-lens Now the other two blue mirror glass as said good for blue water. The other pair is the copper, excellent for inshore and all around. Now this new pair ill let ya know soon... lol The glass pait ive had for 8 years broke once sent to CDM and was deemed my fault sent me a new pair for 70 buck not just lenses NEW pair... I love em!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a pair of costas from backcountry.com as well earlier this year and was really happy with the experience. I have both the blue-mirrored 580g and green-mirrored 400g. Trigger is on the money - green-mirrored will be your best option if you are fishing in the presence of any kinds of shadow. I only appreciate wearing my blue lenses when surf fishing on bright, sunny days or driving into the sun, but for everything else i would rather have the green ones on. They are a great all around lens.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have been pleased with my Costas, not sure if mine are green or blue but they work well for me bass fishing all over NC and VA.

I broke the ear piece on my glasses a year or two back. The next day I wore a pair cheap wally world glasses, man are they bad after wearing costas. Anyways I sent them off for repair and not only did they fix the ear piece, they also replaced the lenses which I had no idea had any kind of defect. Last year I was flipping docks and missed a fish on the hookset, 1/4oz tungsten sinker came at me hard and hit the lense, no damage at all... that sinker went on the other side of the boat and broke 17 lb florocarbon, id say that lense is pretty tough.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually have a pair of Fantail 580G with the green mirror lenses. I would highly recommend them, and I've tried a lot of different lenses. There really is no comparison for inshore fishing. Also, the Green mirror is by far the best for inshore fishing. I use them salt and freshwater. I can see fish way before anyone else with me with different lenses. It's also like going to a 70's television to HD. The color contrasts and vividness are that much better. They are still good for all around use as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I really never thought about the mirrorred lenses reflecting UV rays, but it makes sense. Although, I only wear mirrored sunglasses and have never really had an issue with getting burned. I am religious about sunscreen and reapplying it frequently and I always wear a hat. I can definitely see if you where the reflective lenses could add to the issue. There doesn't seem to be any medical/scientific articles on google on the topic, but a fair bit of people saying the same thing as drumchaser.

I do know that my father in law wore safety glasses with a shiney metal rim for years at his job and is constantly having stuff burned off his face at the doctor's office right beneath where the frames sat on his face.

·
Registered
847 Posts
What does the mirrored lenses cause to burn? I have raccoon eyes in a bad way from always wearing mine. Is that what you're talking about?
The reflection from the water and sun off the lens made me burn. I thought I was crazy too until I checked into it. Sales rep. agreed it happens as well as others. No reflection with non mirrored lens. I wore them for seven years until they delaminated and swapped them under warranty for copper.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The reflection from the water and sun off the lens made me burn. I thought I was crazy too until I checked into it. Sales rep. agreed it happens as well as others. No reflection with non mirrored lens. I wore them for seven years until they delaminated and swapped them under warranty for copper.
Your face or eyes under the lens? Just curious because my nose burns bad if I don't put sunscreen on several times a day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.