NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to the site but have fished and hunted all my life. I live in Coats and work at Ft. Bragg but I am originally from SC. I fish the Cape Fear, Jordan, Woods Pond, and the salt water areas around Carolina Beach. I have several boats one man crow, two kayaks, and a 14 ft jon boat that I fish from. I would have to say catfish and regular sunfish are my favorite in fresh water and Flounder are my favorite in salt water. I am looking to get to know more people in the community in which I fish and hunt and may be get a little more involved. I am married but I fish mostly by my self. I look forward to meeting anyone who responds and those who don't.

James

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the Party! I spent most of my youth in SC fishing the Santee/Cooper. I'm sure you'll make new friends around here!!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Welcome aboard. Check out the FAAN. It's for Fayetteville Area folk s and free of charge. Would love to see you at one of the meetings. Look forward to seeing your posts.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Man you are right smack in the middle of my old stomping grounds. US ARMY RETIRED. I hunted and fished hard on Bragg and never had a problem fishing with anyone. Always offered others on the bank a chance to go with me if they wanted. :p

Head to the Game Warden station and get a license for Bragg, check out McKellers pond right across the road, I know it has some large bass in it, don't let other small ponds on Bragg fool ya. Lots of lakes and ponds there.

Not even sure if they let you fish Smith Lake, swimming area in summer, but that is a fantastic lake for bass and crappie. My personal best from there was an 8 1/2 pound bass and so many large crappie its a shame. They sure are nice to fillet and some good eats.:)

What area do you live in?? Still have a good buddy that lives out Raeford way that does some fishing towards Camp McCall, also some great bass fishing.

Welcome to the board and tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Mr Hobbs I'll be out at Mackall tommorow and Friday might fish the bridge there as you go in its a great place for Red Breast. Mossgill possibly lots of catfish in there Lowel Stevens feeds during the summer and there are some really big cats in that little pond. I need to find some good areas to hunt on Bragg though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great posts and warm welcome so far its really great. Just in case any one was wondering about the name "SwampFox" its the name that was given to Francis Marion. He fought in the Revolution around the swamps in Marion County and the surrounding areas in SC and as a soldier a friend from Red Springs started calling me SwampFox and I thought it worked well for this forum.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lowell knows it like the back of his hand, knew him back at S&K range, ask him about it, and then Michilen City. I helped build that one.

My buddy at mackall is Mr. Bobby Parker, do you know him. Works with the SF branch there. I am retired SF, so a lot of those old soldiers I know or know of.

Range control there used to be a cabin you could rent for $5 a night and the house on the other side of the pond was the game warden. Me and him use to frog gig, have a few brews and cook some black eye peas to go with the frog legs.

Very small world.

Almost forgot S&K (Stevens and Kramer) and then there long lost buddy " Poole." want to say Roy but I forgot.
Man this was back in the late 70's early 80's.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Smith lake is for swimming and fun only now. No fishing allowed. It's a shame but I guess some folks were abusing it leaving trash like hooks and such where youngsters could get hurt while swimming.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.