NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be in Charleston for work from Sept 28th - October 15th. Plan to take one rod probably and when time allows will probably just walk the surf throwing gold spoons and a double bucktail rig to try to find some reds or flounder to yank on. One thing however, never been down there!!

If anybody could give me some input on areas with beach access or any public spots on the ICW down there I'd greatly appreciate it. Won't have much free time at all as the first week will be mostly 12-16 hour days but would like to wet a line being that close to the coast for an extended period.

While not fishing related would also greatly appreciate input for restaurants and bars since the company is footing the bill :) Thanks!

·
Read Only
586 Posts
I like acme wings, or somethin like that. Don't know much about bank fishin down there, but I've had good luck in a boat down there in October. Try some cut bait or shrimp or squid near some jetties or in a rip current or a slough. Sullivan's island has some rocks, you could fish the bridge at breeches inlet. Or if you could find a small bridge over a creek you could fish the grass line on a rising tide. Good luck

P.S: the reds down there fight a little harder;)

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I lived down there until I was 16 but that was long ago. So none of my info would help other than you can go to FT Moultrie, park and walk out and fish those rocks, and walk along the beach along that inlet. Lots of fish have been taken there over the years. I used to fish those rocks as a kid. Google Fort Moultrie and you will see what I mean. Also Pitt Street is the old bridge that burned in a ship accident decades ago. I think they have actually built a boardwalk along it now, good inshore waters there too from my childhood. You can see it on the same map as the fort, cam back and "up".

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
If your lady comes down to visit be sure to take her to The Mustard Seed for dinner, or East Bay Deli for lunch. Charleston book store Café is good too, as is Hominy Grill (great breakfast).

·
Registered
228 Posts
If your in the Mt. Pleasant area I would make The Liberty Grill a stop. Great food and many beers brewed onsite. You may also want to try the Triangle grill ...... great fish tacos and very cool atmosphere. If you have time hit the Firefly Distillery for some fine Liquor some of which you can only purchase there as it is not distributed. Should be about a 35 minute trip from downtown Charleston. Enjoy your time and do not work too hard.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
There is a fishing pier (public, free) at Patriot's Point. I've seen some nice redfish caught there.

James Island County Park as a nice small pier on a saltwater creek.

Folly Beach has an ocean pier.

Port Royal (50 mins?) has a nice boardwalk for fishing inshore, as well as a pier on SC 170 that I've had a little luck at.

Links to public access (some fresh water, some salt)
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/lakes/access/charleston.html

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well tomorow is my day of departure. looking at patriots point ft moultrie and folly beach surf as my main options when work allows and a plethora of restaurants to choose from. I go armed with spoons gulp popping corks mirrolures stingsilvers carolina rigs and a trusty cast net!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.