NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm spent. I covered eleven miles today in trails not counting wading and the usual rock crawling/hopping. Got started at daylight.
Caught fish. Lost fish. Found an old *** metal something. Any ideas what it is?
Great day but I'm exhausted. All today's traveling was done on 4 hours sleep. Can't remember ever being this tired.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Beautiful wild bows! We caught a couple of those in the Smokies over the weekend, so much fun and so beautiful when ya pull them out of the water. It's hard to get a picture to do them justice. Always worth the hike... No bears this time? Wildlife?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful wild bows! We caught a couple of those in the Smokies over the weekend, so much fun and so beautiful when ya pull them out of the water. It's hard to get a picture to do them justice. Always worth the hike... No bears this time? Wildlife?
Not much to speak of. Seen some deer on the way in and a pileated woodpecker. That's about it for the wildlife.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I would guess part of a differential gear box, possibly off of an old car rear end. Although the four tabs don't look quite right it might have been altered for use as a forge.

Great fish and beautiful scenery Thanks for sharing.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I was thinking that the four tabs may have been places to let tooling rest while the metal in the forage got hot. And that the hole in the bottom was where the air came through the coals. The thing about artifacts from that time, is that most thing were made from other things that had lost their usefulness. You may every well be dead on Gene, what ever it is it's still a neat find.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That's why I linked the images. Those things have all shapes and sizes. And like you said it could have been something else that was repurposed. Not uncommon for guys to smelt lead and then cook biscuits from the same dutch oven back then. Lead consumption was a very real problem on the battlefield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.