NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've lived in the Hampstead area for a while and encountered my first crab pot theft this weekend. Although I realize it could have been a tourist, (nothing against them but it was the 4th afterall) I do not see the point in someone from out of town stealing it.

It's one of the smaller pots, it's blue, has a yellow buoy attached, and I set it just a little ways into VA Creek. Its got my name and number on it: zacharyc

I don't think it's possible that I set it wrong and didn't give it enough line, and I checked it at the lowest possible tide. I'm mindful not to set it near others, but even if this was done somehow by mistake, it doesn't constitute theft. Definitely p*&#$#s me off, but not letting it ruin my day. I've never posted a negative thing on here, love the site, but I know a lot of people are local to the area so if anyone sees it please give me a shout. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Spek is dead on....Pot needs a hot pink buoy, and you need a RCGL to use it. Pot was likely taken by DMF or a commercial fisherman (they're kind of at war with recreational right now)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Why are the comms at war with the recs? Crabs where I am are all smallish and not very meaty.
Not a crab issue right now, more flounder/specs/drum/croaker and methods of fishing. Visit NCwaterman, and read the fisheries issues. Commercial fishermen have sued to stop all recreational fishing in NC. Recs are trying to ban gill nets and to keep shrimp trawlers out of nursery waters. Lots of nasty stuff being said on both sides.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, illegal pot. If DMF got it then you most likely will be hearing from them. Probably should hope it was "stolen." Also unless you have an RCGL license the pot must be attached to a dock, pier etc.

Read this: http://portal.ncdenr.org/c/document...0d9-1d02-4b9f-a548-c1f8a0fab26f&groupId=38337
Appreciate it speckhunter. And also a shout out to trigger. I've been fishing these waters for many years, family is local to the Hampstead area. And I've never been a heavy crabber, if at all, just set my half-pot now and again, mostly release em and catch them out of curiosity the few times I have.

That said, definitely my fault for not setting with a hot pink buoy. I know some of the comm crabbers in the area, there is indeed a debate going on with rec crabbing/fishing. However, I don't enter it because I stick to what I know, and that's rod/reel inshore fishing. I don't think DMF got it or they would have called by now. If they do, I'll own it, I believe in abiding by the rules, ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to protecting the fishery. Honest mistake.

I do have an RCGL. If DMF didn't take it, then it's still stealing in my book, unless I get a call from one of the comm boys that live down that way. $30 trap though, I can take the hit. And I do appreciate the responses to this, by far best NC fishing info on the web, IMO.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to add that I definitely don't hope it was "stolen" by a comm guy. I'll gladly take it back if I see it out and I'll put the proper pink buoy on it since I purchased it originally. I'm not a saint, but I was raised not to touch another man's belongings.

After all, my little rec crab trap (the smallest you can buy) I'm sure puts such a huge dent in the comm fishery. Wouldn't want to take away from their massive hauls of inshore fish/shell fish. (sarcasm of course)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.