NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a later start than I wanted, but I got to Lake Crabtree about 9:30 this AM. The morning was fun and I enjoyed the time there.

My first cast resulted in a 7 lb catfish.

I caught some smaller channel cats but the bite ended around 11 to 11:30 am.

I tried my hand at carp fishing, but the corn disappeared from the hair rig with no big bites. I ended up putting corn on the hook and held the line in my hand to find out what was stealing my carp bait. Durn brim is what I always have called them.

I got one small crappie (I think)on a spinner.

I did great catching snails. I got five all total, even on spinners and 2/0 circle hooks.

Ed

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like a good day. Too bad about not getting any carp. Past few times I have gone there for carp I haven't had a lot of luck, as opposed to the first time I went with frogfish.

Are you using canned/frozen corn? Deer corn stays on the hair a lot better, or you can try making boilies. Both of which I have caught cats on too, and the hair rig seems to do a good job of catching cats as well as carp.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to meet up with some of you guys that know how to carp fish. I was using canned corn on a hair rig.

After going home and eating I went to the lake in Apex. I caught some small flatheads (I think). I was getting ready to leave and this monster of a bass bit shrimp on my 1/0 circle hook.

I also had a nice family come by for a visit.

I ended up with a very nice relaxing day. I hope to do it again soon and look forward to meeting some of you since I will fresh water fish more this year than I have in the past.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.