NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just purchased a Daiwa Lexa 100 PL (4.9:1 ratio) to use for shallow to medium depth cranking. They are on sale at tacklewarehouse.com for $70 and free shipping so figured I'd take advantage. Didn't feel like spending a lot of money on this combo. I'm looking for a Medium, Moderate action rod around 7'. I was ideally looking for one in the $50 range, but if I'm not going to be able to get a decent one for that then I can go up to $100. I've been scouring Ebay, Amazon, and have looked at just about every website I could for a decent deal on a new or used one, but no luck finding one I felt good about. Any suggestions?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
St. Croix Triumph 6.5 footer for about 70 bucks at Dicks. Whatever you do don't fall for the "crankbait" rod marketing hype. Buy a real rod of all graphite and set the darn hook fast!! The idea that a guy's reaction time is faster ( and needs to be slowed down by a fiberglass rod) than a bass striking a lure is the biggest joke in the tackle industry.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I forgot about the Triumphs, good rods for the money..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Whatever you do don't fall for the "crankbait" rod marketing hype. Buy a real rod of all graphite and set the darn hook fast!! The idea that a guy's reaction time is faster ( and needs to be slowed down by a fiberglass rod) than a bass striking a lure is the biggest joke in the tackle industry.
Ill take those limber cranking rods all day over a broom stick for cranking.

I use custom built crankbait rods built on Rainshadow crankbait blanks, you could probably build one yourself for around $100. I got 6 different cranking rods and love them all. 5 are graphite, the other is S-glass.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I'll take a lumber rod as well for cranking. Gives more feel and control to a crank bait while cranking. I like being able to feel it working while stopping and starting as well as feeling it deflect off of structure/cover.

I use a Pflueger President medium. Works good for me. I use it for most bait applications....only time I wish it had more backbone is for large spinners and sometimes for plastics when setting the hook.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help! Those are some good options, and I appreciate the advice. I agree on a limber rod as well, and that's why I'm sticking with a Medium. I feel like I lose fewer fish w/ treble hooks by having some give in the rod. No need for MH unless you're throwing really big deep divers or something. I may just bite the bullet to get a little bit better rod. I feel like I got a good deal on the reel at least so I'm going to justify it with that. haha.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I also prefer a limber rod for cranking, and it's even more important since I use braid (no stretch) for cranking, so need a rod with some "forgiveness". BPS has their Crankin' Stick on sale -- not much of a sale, but $10 off reg price. [Can't vouch for these rods, although they look/feel good. Any others have experience with them?] FYI -- joel

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I do love these BPS Bionic Blade rods, esp when they're on sale for $59.95 ($79.95 regular). I think I have 6 of them now, all 7ft medium "fast" action. I find the casting (or "trigger") rod has a fast enough action to be acceptable (but not ideal) for cranks, but the spinning medium "fast" action is just not very "fast" at all -- so while I find it a great all-purpose rod, I don't like it for cranks. (BPS does have a 7' ML, but it's a 2-piece rod, which I don't like.) But these are just great general purpose rods and I use them in fresh and salt. I have found that the guide wraps don't hold up that well over time (and abuse!) and I'm now having to re-wrap and/or epoxy some of the guide wraps. FWIW, Joel

i would go bionic blade bps. excellent rod at price point.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard pretty good things about the BPS rods for cranking so that is something I'm considering. I also saw a Shimano Clarus on sale for $50 at the same website I bought the reel, but it is a Medium, Xfast action. I think I need a slower action than that for cranking.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
My rod language was sloppy -- i always have to go back and look at those rod action charts, then I forget again. I definitely prefer a slower action -- closer to a "moderate" action with a limber tip -- instead of a fast or x-fast action where most of the bend is in the tip. I have a custom built 7'10" cranking rod (Carolina Custom Rods) that has perfect action -- lots of bend in the tip and top half of the rod, but a solid backbone for when I need to thumb that spool and put the winch down. // joel

Reactions: Brett

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I have three of the cranking sticks from BPS and I really like them. Good flex and a good backbone for crank baits.

Slower action rods are excellent choices for cranking and it has nothing to do with how fast the hook sets. It's all about leverage...that of the fish and the bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Good to hear about the BPS Crankin' Sticks. They're definitely on my radar. I never set the hook when cranking -- rod just loads up and I keep cranking. Gets my heart rate up just thinking about it! I also replace my stock hooks with Mustard short-shank EWG hooks, usually one size larger than stock. Combined with a flexible rod, I find the combination has improved my hook-up ratio and significantly reduced the number of thrown cranks, too.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Ill take those limber cranking rods all day over a broom stick for cranking.

I use custom built crankbait rods built on Rainshadow crankbait blanks, you could probably build one yourself for around $100. I got 6 different cranking rods and love them all. 5 are graphite, the other is S-glass.
No broom stick St. Croix 6.6 medium action 10-17 pound test. I use 10 lb Trilene Green XT The line has the give and the rod is a sensitive featherweight. I use older low ratio original Speed Spools. Fritz stole my idea on that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
my fav cranker right now it my fenwick aetos but i didnt mention it before due to price. picked mine up for 119 at nss. it is perfect for dt4 and dt6 size cranks. i really don't see a reason not to go with the bps stuff though.

the bionic blade felt much better to me in hand but in actual performance with cranks the crowd is probably right in taking the cranking stick. the blades are better to me for most other bass applications.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.