NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out Mar 17 landed 10 but buddy got 39 an 30 on the Sunday and Monday before that cold rain on the 16th. Headed out again on 24th an landed 24 keepers. All caught on minnows on bank at falls lake

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've only gone Crappie fishing a couple times but after how many people I've heard say they are good eating I'd like to try my luck and keep a couple to fry up. Had a couple questions below if you don't mind sharing:

1) Do you fish with a bobber on the line - If so about where in the water column are you trying to get the bait?

2) I've seen a lot of people fishing under bridges, if you're fishing off the bank, what in general are you looking for for a "good area"?

3) Are there any places you would not eat crappie out of around the Raleigh area? I heard something about locally Crabtree lake is one to avoid

4) What size hook do you like to use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only gone Crappie fishing a couple times but after how many people I've heard say they are good eating I'd like to try my luck and keep a couple to fry up. Had a couple questions below if you don't mind sharing:

1) Do you fish with a bobber on the line - If so about where in the water column are you trying to get the bait?

2) I've seen a lot of people fishing under bridges, if you're fishing off the bank, what in general are you looking for for a "good area"?

3) Are there any places you would not eat crappie out of around the Raleigh area? I heard something about locally Crabtree lake is one to avoid

Thanks in advance.
1) I generally fish at night for crappie so I am always using a bobber and live minnows get the small ones. I use slip bobbers so I can adjust depths. I initially have depth set at 1 - 5 feet since I usually have 5 rods until the action heats up and I can keep up, which hasn't happened last year or this year so far. I do some limited daytime crappie fishing usually with a jig below a fixed bobber usually at 2-3 feet of depth

2) I am fishing on banks and sometimes I am under bridges but with weather warming up I stay off the rocks since snakes are out now. If you fish under a bridge hang a lantern close to water and try to fish close to lantern. I always have a lantern setup on banks when I fish. I use bobber that I can insert glow sticks in or attach to them helps ya see when bobber is under :) . Some folks fish from bridges however MOST of them have NO FISHING FROM BRIDGES SIGNS but there are a few that don't but traffic is crazy

3) I only eat crappie out of the larger lakes like falls lake I haven't fished Jordan or Harris for crappie. Lake Johnson is good but limited fishing access. Bond Park and Umstead also good however they close at about the time I want to be fishing.

4) maybe a 6 I really am not positive on that one

Reactions: Cam

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Buy some white grub bodies. Take off the tail and make them look like 1/2” grubs on a size 6/8 hook. Put a split shot about 18” above the hook, and a bobber about 3 1/2’ above the split shot. Look for a slow moving deep hole. Cast out about 20’ from shore and slowly drag, reel up the slack, drag reel up the slack until you retrieve your set up. If there are crappies, you’ll catch em!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went out twice this week managed 20 and 21. Mostly males and most just keeper size. Looks like the run is coming to an end I have caught over 85 this year and have enough in the freezer. Now back to bass fishing as the top water action is heating up

·
Registered
31 Posts
My word I hear some of these numbers and clearly just feel like I'm doing something wrong.... About how long of a timeframe are the ~20/day over? When targeting them last year, most I caught was 3 in a day but I only fished for them for maybe an hour or so. I've also never fished for them at sunset or during dark it's always been during the day. I've hooked up a dedicated rig and tried my luck twice during the day recently though and still skunked...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My word I hear some of these numbers and clearly just feel like I'm doing something wrong.... About how long of a timeframe are the ~20/day over? When targeting them last year, most I caught was 3 in a day but I only fished for them for maybe an hour or so. I've also never fished for them at sunset or during dark it's always been during the day. I've hooked up a dedicated rig and tried my luck twice during the day recently though and still skunked...
we are using live minnows fishing from bank at 1.5-2 feet max. Most fish coming from 2 -15 feet out. We also go out at 7pm leaving by 930 most fish between 730 n 830

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah it seems a common theme I've seen with people that are catching them is that they're using live bait. I've never tried any minnows just artificial stuff, I'm also using a small jig head that happens to be pink (not sure if they care about that or not). Seems like split shot with just single hook at the bottom is a preferred presentation for them though. I'll give the live minnows a try though one of these days.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if daytime fishing gotta try different color grubs on the jig head. I have found body color to be more a factor than head color. usually white with a curly tail or chartreuse are my first ones than move on to pink, orange and others if those aren't working. If fishing with minnows a split shot between bobber and hook is ideal to keep minnow down

Reactions: Cam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts