NC Angler Forums banner

Crappie Jigs

6K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Bighow104 
#1 ·
Since I am starting to focus on Crappie fishing this year and switching over from Bass fishing what brand , Color ,Type of Crappie Jigs does everyone like to use ?:confused:

#2 ·
Crappie.com good site for all that info. I've always been a live bait guy and a few small jigs tipped with minnows but plan to learn the same this year myself.

#3 ·
I mostly use tube and hair jigs because I mostly jig brush piles or work my baits under a cork. I do however also really like a Charlie brewer slider jig for casting as well as a white Maribou road runner. White, chartreuse, pink, black, orange, yellow, white, and white are my favorite colors. If you can't tell I really like white.

#4 ·
I went to BPS in Cary the other day and bought some Road Runner and Stump Jumper jigs Mostly all I bought had red heads some white , chartreuse , Pink Black and some Hair and some tubes also. I am just learning about crappie fishing so I am looking forward to getting out and catching some.

#5 ·
when you go in the local tackle shops and Walmart always check the clearance bins. I always find funky colors and small panfish baits cheap and Crappie seem to like the odd colors often too.

#9 ·
If you are casting I've had some great luck using small spinner baits for crappie. They seem to help getting bites from the bigger fish too. An awesome bait for spring when the slabs have moved in to shallower water. Its much more of a reaction strike and in this case I think color is less important but I've had some awesome luck with the silver shiner color. http://www.northlandtackle.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=366 I like a lot of the Northland crappie stuff. If you are spider rigging that's a whole different deal.

#13 ·
I use a lot of them...
power bait powergrubs white(2 inch),
Gotcha 2 inch curlytails white pearl and chart w/sil flake,
Mister twister 2 inch teenies in various colors
original sliders in various colors,

but the best I have found are a green with black flake which i cant find them now(a company out of Virginia makes them) and Kalins acid rain and purple rain...

Heavyfoot on here put me on the acid rains....

Insect Pollinator Arthropod Larva Caterpillar

Reactions: lmsjr1 and RouseD
#16 ·
The road runners are productive for cast and retrieve as are some of the small spinnerbaits. I usually fish under a weighted float though and use the old school marabou hair jigs (red head, white or chartreuse hair). For a couple of bucks you can buy a whole card of them. If you have wind and wave action you need not retrieve these. If it's calm you need to slowwwwly retrieve them. They have thin wire hooks so you can usually get them unhung when fishing heavy cover. Bass will hit them too. Of course, crappie minnows on a thin wire hook are awesome.

#17 ·
Also a big fan of the marabou or twisty tails. If you go with twisty tails, brand does matter if you jig them. I get the Berkley Power grubs that specifically say jigging and the tails flutter a lot more easily than the generics. Growing up, the red head white marabou jigs were the standard go to. My uncle always called them "doll flies" and it is pretty much all we used for panfish, except we tipped them if it was slow. They still work.

#18 ·
I use a hand tied 3/32 oz white with red thread Bucktail jig for a lot of my casting an vertical jiggin. Bobby Garland Baby Shad in various colors comes in second. Blue Ice, Cajun Cricket, an Key Lime Pie are some of the crappies favorite. I use 1/4 oz Hopkins an 3/8 oz CC spoons for vertical jiggin in the warmer season. Silver most days, white painted on cloudy days. Road Runners with Kalin Triple Threat twistertails get the nod for flat line trolling. Black/Blue/Chart, John Deere Green, Acid Rain, are some popular colors on red heads. Titelining seems to work best for me when I put a rubber bodied with maraboo tail jig on my minnow. and as previously mentioned, Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider is very hard to beat when targeting shallow brush or laydowns during the actual spawn. Baby Bass was the best color for us last season. Black with a Chart. tail can be the killer at times. And believe it or not, I concentrate on keepin all aspects of my fishin as simple as I can! Fishin over 250 days a yr for 10 different species can get complicated if ya don't!

#25 ·
Reactions: lmsjr1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.