NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a while back about some folks on here doing some night stalking for crappie. I'd be interested in doing this with someone. If anyone on here wants a partner to come along, I'm game. I can do week days, but not real late, 10:30 tops. Weekends I can go later into the night. I live in raleigh, Falls lake would be my first choice, but would come out to jordan, harris etc also. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Unless the game has changed in the years (decades?) since I last did this, 10:30 PM sounds about right - to get started. :D

We used to hang a light and the bait fish would circle under it, so there was no point in getting started until big dark.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Unless the game has changed in the years (decades?) since I last did this, 10:30 PM sounds about right - to get started. :D

We used to hang a light and the bait fish would circle under it, so there was no point in getting started until big dark.
I've been wanting to do this sometime. You never know what'll show up with a light and all that bait swimming around.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I've been wanting to do this sometime. You never know what'll show up with a light and all that bait swimming around.
About 40 years ago (the first time I was a teenager :) ), I did this often on Lanier in GA. We mostly caught crappie, catfish and a few spots but one night a striper crashed the party. That was pretty exciting on a push button Zebco.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I believe this is most often done in the summer, not sure if night stalk works in the springs. I'll let others with more knowledge chime in. In the summer this is a great tactic because you're not fishing in the heat, and the fish are usually hanging out in deeper water.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had some luck all year. .. but I think best bags are are spring. .. after mid june... u better be deep. After june... my cooler is filled with more cans often than fish. Either way, like j giels... the nighttime is the right time! Especially busy lakes. Have fun and a headlight is more important than most tackle and rods. Have fun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I mean deepwater midsummer is referring to big lakes that get real warm of course. especially Norman. and as for time in the night, best luck is usually between 9:30 and midnight. But I've had it pick up and take off at 2 a.m. before and catch fish straight until 5 a.m. you never really know, but if you are tearing up fish at 10 o'clock and it dies off at midnight you might as well quit

·
Registered
691 Posts
The darkest moon phases will be the most productive.
Shallower water, not too shallow (it's easy to spook fish in less than 10'-12', if it is clear water) near deep water, with a bit of wind blowing toward the shallower water makes for the best spots. A creek channel or major point nearby by does not hurt.
Anchor so that you don't swing too much, this can screw up the bait fish gathering under the light, following the photo plankton they are attracted to.
White or green lights both work well, having a preference is completely up to the individual, not unlike politics or religion, or the discussions that can be caused by having an opinion or preference regarding light color.... :rolleyes:
Where shad are plentiful, it's not unusual to have so many the fish finder can't find the bottom after a hour or so. This can lead to some varied and fun fishing, many different species are often caught.
Minnows are good, black or dark jigs can be better when the fishing really cranks up.

Good luck..

Fishscalz

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have been having decent luck from7-10pm at falls lake. All on. I mows note is best from8-9 so far

·
Registered
160 Posts
What kind of lights seem to work best? I've used lanterns and yellow lights that float with styrofoam? I know the green lights work well, but those are quite expensive... Are there any cost efficient lights that are pretty effective?
thanks
Brightest light or lights you can power,or afford is what you want. Doesn't have to be green, just near the water surface or in the water of course. Found some light for myself on clearance at Bass Pro shops, seems some decent deals on eBay also. When placing your light can take between a half hour and 1 hour for bait ball. Fishscalz is right on about location... And since you are anchoring down for best position, do some research and take your best shot on where the bait will be at that time. Once you set up your light situation you will not really want to move or the process will start over again with building your bait ball. Also if big fish come to the party, and you get one on, play it as slow as possible to not cause a big disturbance or all the other big fish will know something is up and be gone. Easier said than done of course. Either way it is fun to set your own likes and watch the action build up....from plankton to predators.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Brightest light or lights you can power,or afford is what you want. Doesn't have to be green, just near the water surface or in the water of course. Found some light for myself on clearance at Bass Pro shops, seems some decent deals on eBay also. When placing your light can take between a half hour and 1 hour for bait ball. Fishscalz is right on about location... And since you are anchoring down for best position, do some research and take your best shot on where the bait will be at that time. Once you set up your light situation you will not really want to move or the process will start over again with building your bait ball. Also if big fish come to the party, and you get one on, play it as slow as possible to not cause a big disturbance or all the other big fish will know something is up and be gone. Easier said than done of course. Either way it is fun to set your own likes and watch the action build up....from plankton to predators.
Great input!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I think I may try this soon. Been thinking about it forever. I need to burn some gift cards up anyway.....floating light may be the way to go. I wonder if I should try the yak or jon.....yak is more simple but jon has more room to wait and fish from. I've got plenty of time to brainstorm anyway. Excited to try it out though.

Sent from my kayak...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.