NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined the crowd at 64 bridge Sat., looked liked like the opening day of trout season, with boats! Around 100 Saturday, 3 of us got our limit of 10-14 inch fish in about 4 hours. Did so good we decided to go back Sunday, it was a little slower with a lot more throwbacks. Took us 8 hours to get 54 of the larger ones. Biggest a 1 lb 11 oz. 14 incher. Most on tightlined minnows just off the bottom in 30-35 feet of water. A few pics.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great job guys, I'll have to get over that way soon. What time of day were they bittin?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
great catch!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job guys, I'll have to get over that way soon. What time of day were they bittin?
Saturday morning from 8:30 'til 10:30 or 11 they were wide open. We had about 50 keepers. Took us 'til 12:30 to get the next 10 or so to finish out our limits. Sunday it was pretty much the same all day. You might catch 3 or 4 right together then go 15 or 20 minutes without a bite. Couldn't believe the numbers & size of fish. We got excited at High Rock last weekend when we caught 10 over 10 inches.:)

G

·
Wow, good job ! i'm going to have to get a few more rods/reels... are those all the same ? did you make those holders ? i was kind of shocked with the pics, coz back in Illinios you only get two poles with two hooks, some waters less !

·
Registered
107 Posts
hawkman, great job we were there that saturday morning and I don't think I have crappie fished and caught them that big regularly. Only problem we had was a bassboat came right on top of me at the break of daylight and we didn't have any room to move. My foot pedal for the trolling motor broke and the remote control well having to fumble in my pocket while reeling fish in is a mess.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Wow, good job ! i'm going to have to get a few more rods/reels... are those all the same ? did you make those holders ? i was kind of shocked with the pics, coz back in Illinios you only get two poles with two hooks, some waters less !
Ghost it is called "Spider rigging" Here is a good little article on it. It is a very popular method for Crappie. Crappie Spider Rigging

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ghost, I think those are Driftmaster rod holders. Driftmaster-Black River Tools His rods & reels are all the same, set up for trolling, but here we were tightlining minnows. My nephew was fishing four rods on one side & I had 8 rods out of the back, all different.:) Double crappie rigs on some so we had 25-30 hooks in the water. can get hectic when they are biting like they were Sat. morning.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
ghost know what you mean, I was stationed in Washington state and you could only use 1 rod to fish with, coming from NC I just couldn;t understand that rule.

Spider rigs (russian trowlers) lets you spread out your offerings and at different depths so you can find and seine out the fish.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

G

·
on my only salmon trip, to s. Puegent Sound, Wa., we also only used barbless hooks ! did manage some fish, my biggest a #17 Chum.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I was also out that Sunday, 2/3, and can attest to the number of boats at the parking lot (Rte 64 bridge). I did fair, not great. Been back twice since, learning the crappie thing for some fun in the winter. Took my brother in law from SC out yesterday, fished through the lousy weather day but ended up catching biggest for me personally so far, a 2.5 lb'er weighed on the boga, 16 inches.... Most other were 12-14 inches, we kept 8 so Frank could take em home for the Ms's. Good day, all caught on double rigs / minnows except one rig we used a single jig with a minnow... Had fun.... Here's the big one for our day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.