NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough, about 10 years ago, to buy a piece of property on a private lake in southern Alamance county. I went down there after dinner this evening to check for storm damage and after finding none decided to do a little top water fan casting off our dock. The lake has good crappie, very good bream and a lot of small bass and I can usually catch one or two 12 - 14 inch bass in about 15 minutes of fishing. They're nothing special but it's relaxing. Started out off the right side and had a couple of short strikes. After a few minutes of trying to coax another strike, I switched directions and cast into four or five feet of water off the left front of the dock. As I took up line after a couple of twitches, I realized I had a fish on. Expecting a small bass, I hauled in this crappie. I've caught crappie close to the surface with small shallow running crank baits, but I've never caught a crappie on a top water bait before. Although I seldom throw back a fish on this lake because the bass are stunted, I let this crappie go for another day.
IMG_20140501_193252.jpg

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've caught a few on top water before while bass fishing too. Including one that was in around 8 feet of water. If a fish wants it, he will get it. End of story

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've caught crappie on almost every style multi-hook bass lure I've used, including topwater lures. Pop-R, Spook, Swimbait, Torpedo, etc. Jitterbug is the only one don't think I've caught a crappie on.

It's not terribly common, but it definitely happens.

Nice crappie!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I caught one at midnight next to a dock on a cheapo version of that lure. I thought it was a bass when it broke the surface so I grabbed for a topwater and got a surprise.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have caught a few random single crappie on my bream bug foam fly. I also caught 4 or 5 in the same spot on that same fly. Just doesn't happen top water that much. That one time when I caught that 4 or 5 in the same time period was the only time I have ever done that. .
I don't remember ever catching a crappie while top water spinning
Good thread Dennis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts