NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are not cleared, trying out different things and such, need to add eyes and clear, then, of course, fish :)

White Crappie

Black Crappie, went overboard on the irridescant colors

Black Crappie

White Crappie

I think I like the first white and the second black the best

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
What type of airbrush are you using? I just picked up a Badger 150 and want to begin airbrushing some poppin bugs. I've search for tips, templates, and techniques fro brushing lures but have been unable to come up with much. Any advice?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use an Iwata and a Paasche, I like the Iwata better, but not sure I couldn't spend more on a domestic brush and get the same results!

As far as technique, I went to airbrush.com and tried to do the dagger strokes and such, but quickly abandoned that and just started painting. I got some platsic bodies from Staminainc.com for about $1 each, and just went to town :) I'm sure some of what I do can be called a technique, not sure.

As far as templates, I dont use them, generally. The end of a willowleaf spinnerbait blade makes a nice 'gill', aas well as a colorado for a larger one. I did, however use a template for the spots on these crappies, and don't like it, it looks manufactured to me, so I think I'm gonna go back to freehand. Takes (way, way) longer, but I like the results better :)

Don't discount a pen either, a sharpie, or even a fountain pen with some airbrush paint in it achieves the same results.

Other than that, get something to paint, and go to town, you'll make some of the ugliest baits you've ever seen to start with, I did, but the more you do it, the more you'll learn, and recognize, even know what will happen next. I've never been a book guy though, I like to do!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
man, I was just digging out my old Snap-on airbrush and looking at some of my bargain bin special "odd-colored" baits thinking about giving it a try!!! I had a bad habit for a long time of buying any crankbait in any color if it was $.99 !!! So I have plenty to play with. Do you use regular enamels/laquers or is there a specialty paint because of odor or content?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use acrylic paint because it's easily cleaned, and no, well, not no, but low odor!

They make it speciically for airbrushes, such as Createx colors, or you can thin your own, I know a few guys that use the $0.99 Apple Barrel brand at Wal-Mart, thin it with water, and rock on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I look, the more I HATE the spots, I don't normally use stencils on stuff, and did on these. I got results that look like I used a shortcut! Either way, back to the drawing board on that, but here they are cleared:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Man, they still look great. Look a lot better then the stuff you find in a store. Great work.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
very nice
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.