NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the countless recommendations to get a kayak, I decided to purchase a creek boat from AK McCallum.
First off....I love this boat! Very glad I didn't get a kayak or canoe. It's very stable, I can stand up in it and stretch. It has plenty of room for two people to fish out of with a moderate amount of gear. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy for one person but it can be managed.
I definitely want to get some accessories for it, depth finder, rod holders, cup holders. The 54lb thrust trolling motor pushes it well and leaves a large wake like a outboard when on high. I took it for a test yesterday on South river. Heres a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
What kind of fish is that in the third pic?

Awesome fishing btw!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Not sure how the Creek Boat would do in rough water, but it looks great for flat water. I have been seeing some guys fish in either that boat, or a very similar one for several years now, so they must love theirs. Hope you have lots of fun and catch a lot of fish on yours. Please keep us informed on your fishing, and how much you enjoy it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a warmouth. They are colored a bit different in that black water.
The biggest advantage this boat had over a kayak is the live well. I'm a firm believer in "catch and grease!"
The foot controlled steering is definitely a plus. It allows hands free operation for more fishing time and less paddling.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Yeah Warmouth have that darker color in the blackwater areas; much like bass in grass look bright green and bass off rocks or deeper water are silver, the sunfish will change their hue depending on their environment.

Neat boat, I will get a square back canoe or creek boat someday... when my house's A/C doesn't break, and I don't have to pay for family members' root canals and crowns, and I have my student loans paid off... <sigh> someday.

Looks cool, thanks for sharing your break-in trip, looks like a good one!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Cool on the AK's. Bought my 25hp yamaha from them. The only thing I don't like about them is they make it very clear they negotiate nothing. There is a creek boat dealer in Lumberton that MAY have given you a better deal, but then there would be your added commute. Nice haul on the bream. Never ate a warmouth... They look like they might have that nice fleshy white of a crappie... Is that the case?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You shop with a poker face.
You never let them know you gotta have it, you are in love with it, or can't live without it.

Make him work for the sale. Don't give it to him.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
You shop with a poker face.
You never let them know you gotta have it, you are in love with it, or can't live without it.

Make him work for the sale. Don't give it to him.
Right. You have to remember though that the customer wouldn't have taken the time to check out the product if they weren't interested in the first place. The more you make him "work for it" is a double edged sword. The more he works for it the more he knows you're getting closer and closer to buying. Also, some retailers have absolutely zero price adjustment. Some can do what they want, some are held to whatever price is shown initially.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If a shop cant deal on price ( due to their obligations profit margin etc) then they are gonna have to sweeten the deal with services or accessories. I'm not paying sticker $ for it ...

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Right. You have to remember though that the customer wouldn't have taken the time to check out the product if they weren't interested in the first place. The more you make him "work for it" is a double edged sword. The more he works for it the more he knows you're getting closer and closer to buying. Also, some retailers have absolutely zero price adjustment. Some can do what they want, some are held to whatever price is shown initially.
It's all part of the game. You gotta be willing to walk away and wait for another day.
Leave them your card, tell them if they change their mind to give you a call.

Pawn shops are good place to get a deal, if you play it right. When I get the notion to flip a Penn or two I'll head to Fayetteville. Land of the pawn shops. Pick up an item and look at it. Put ift down and walk around some more.. Go back and pick it up and walk around with it. Go put it back and head for the door. If it's a slow day, I got him hooked.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Not that I know what I am doing, but I think that if any dealer has a sales quota they want or need to make, and you happen to be there at the right time, they will negotiate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts