NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with small 2-man creek boats? I have a Nauticstar 2000 Offshore but want something I can get lost in the back creek areas. The only maker other than a kayak I have found is Greentop Enterprises. Any help would be great. - Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've used the smaller 1 man version that belongs to a friend. They seem to be very manuverable and light weight, and reasonably stable. If I'm not mistaken, Greentop Int. is out of Albemarle NC on NC24/27. I was interested enough in them at one point to look that up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. The picture is the same one I was talking about which is built by Greentop Enterprises. The Gheenoe seems interesting. I can only find a few references to Ganoe and no manufacturer's site.

Since I'm new to the creek stuff...help me out in my thought process.

1. Maneuver easily on/off a trailer.
2. Easy for just me but can carry a buddy or wife as well.
3. Quiet operation so I can sneak up on a gator and get eatin.
4. Inexpensive to buy and operate.
5. Quick to clean.
6. Stable enough to go on a little bigger creek or a small river.
7. Shallow draft so I can get into tight spaces.
8. Live well built-in or as an add-on.

Does this make sense and is it attainable? What do you all use?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes to all the above. Though a second person may be a little iffy in the smaller ones. Ran across one on craigslist last night at the myrtle beach s.c. heading for $800 already set up with seats, trolling motor and foot control pedals. Might want to check it out and it was a gravy boat by the way.

Might also want to check out Mad River Canoe they have a kayak\canoe hybrid called the Synergy that I was looking seriously into before I bought my current Jon Boat.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i have had 2 of them the 2 seater and the single seater.. they are a good lil boat with decent room. the single is about 60 pounds empty i use it to duck hunt with.. so you know it can take a beatin..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
If your mind is set on traveling far or going fast, I got nothing for you . Besides that everything you want is my double dagger kayak. you will not need a trailer, gas , registration,batteries,anybody to go with you and you will not get farther back or be any quieter in anything else. Nothing is more durable and you don`t have to clean it at all. That just shows that you use it. I just turn mine upside down in the yard and kick it a few times. I`ll also add that the synergy is indeed a option for you. Know some local guys in Belmont with one and it`s pretty cool. Heavy ,but nice. Erayyak, on here has one . I only know from his pics. Good luck with your search. Creek boat is also a kayak term, but not what you want. Check out Taylor manuf. here in NC. They make "gravy boats". I`d give you a link If I was as good as the old timers on here.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the two man creek boat from Brown's Outdoors in Delco, NC. I just tried it out in a pond next to our house and LOVE it. Next is hitting a creek maybe this weekend.

I registered it and have the hull numbers to put on. Does anyone know, other than having flotation devices on board, do I need to have lights for night other than a flashlight and do I need a fire extinguisher since it's an electric motor?

Does anyone know of a good in-line battery meter that would tell me how much juice I have left?

And does anyone have an opinion on a good, inexpensive hand held GPS and a depth/fish finder that wouldn't be overkill for a little canoe type boat?

By the way, I'm thinking of Town Creek, Lockwood Folly River, NE Cape Fear and Waccamaw River so any suggestions/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyones help....

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Most any of the low-end GPS's will leave a "virtual breadcrumb trail" that you can follow back the way you came to get to your launch site. Or you can just mark the launch site and follow the arrow to that point.

Many of the high-end units have better antennas and receivers, and will both acquire a signal faster, and hold it better under dense cover. I've got a buddy who mountain-bikes, he found his old GPS would lose its signal on the far side of a mountaintop from the satellites, so he switched to the higher-end models.

The other thing you might watch for is it's waterproofing rating. JIS-5 is "waterproof", but that means "splash-proof". JIS-7 is the first one that's rated to survive a brief dunking, JIS-8 will hold up to more of a dunking. All of Garmin's handheld units (the "On the trail" category on their website) are at least JIS-7, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh yeah, one thing I looked closely for was battery life. One leading Lowrance model claimed 8-12 hour endurance, but the Garmin Vista CX I bought advertises 18-22 hours. Garmin's color screens must use a newer technology that consumes less juice... I didn't want to pay extra for a color screen, but paid extra for better battery life, and got the color screen for free. :D

Hope it helps
Lefty

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
A low buck Eagle Cuda depth finder is a good bet, or a Humminbird Fishin' Buddy. I would have lights for my own safety if nothing else. You can buy a clamp on light that looks like a flashlight on a pole at WalMart that uses batteries so you dont need wiring. I'd keep a good small spotlight onboard for night manuvers as well. You can add a marine power plug ( cig lighter ) and it comes in handy for spotlights, recharging GPS etc. be sure and wear a floatation device at all times especially around fast/big boats if you get in that kind of situation on a river etc.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Builder,

I have been on both the Lockwood Folly and Town Creek in my little home made cypress boat that is less stable than the Creek Boat. I think you will find it's perfect for those kinds of waters.
I don't think you will need a fire extenguisher unless the boat has a false bottom. However, if you are out after dark, I think you will need a bow and stern light with the trolling motor to be legal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
try tailwalker marine in georgetown sc they sell high tide boats the boat you are looking for is called the bugbuster its 15.5' stick steer rated for 40 hp it perfect my choice of power would be a 30hp tahatsu its the only four stroke with efi and a short shaft under 50 hp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.