NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The softness is a double edged sword. The Berkley jigging ones are pretty soft also. When I am after panfish with the smaller size, I sometimes switch to some cheap harder ones (I have one of the every color blister packs) or swimming ones when the bite is really hot because they last longer.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The softness is a double edged sword. The Berkley jigging ones are pretty soft also. When I am after panfish with the smaller size, I sometimes switch to some cheap harder ones (I have one of the every color blister packs) or swimming ones when the bite is really hot because they last longer.
Don't think your harder cheap baits are going to outlast a z man... As much as I dislike their stuff, they are durable and have good action.

As far as curly tails go, gotcha, haw River, and mister twister all work just fine.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Mack's picture brings up another question - tail up or down? Or does it really matter? If you google images of "curly tail grub" it appears to be split somewhat evenly, though with prerigged packaged ones up seems more common. Could be that it simply takes up less space and costs less to package. Interested in opinions though. I am typically an up guy but don't think it makes any difference.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I rig mine curl down, lets gravity work with the tail rather than fight against it. I think you get a tighter, smoother action that way.

Reactions: RaymondWells

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
One reason I am not all that convinced it makes a difference is that I sometimes rig 180, 90 or 45 from my normal way if the grub body gets a rip and I am low on that type and it still keeps catching fish. I think the main reason the manufacturers seem to show a strong preference for tail up on prerigs is because a 1" card and sleeve is a little bit cheaper than a 1.5" one and the shelf hooks in the store can be a little closer together and more of them can be out. Sales and marketing drives a lot of decisions...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Roosters gonna roll a window up on his favorite rod for that.. :)

Reactions: roostertail24

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I can't argue with Rooster; he is currently slaying big panfish like nobody's business. I badly want to get out and catch instead of talking about it, but it isn't happening in the next few days, so here I am instead...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.