NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this message board. Just moved to Currituck and looking for fishing advice. Where to fish, what fish are there, how to catch, (live bait, cutbait, plugs, etc.) I have a boat, (20' Privateer) and willing to go with others or have others go with me. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Crabdaddy

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
hey crabdaddy, so were you living in currituck, i am from wanchese which is about 45 minutes to currituck. not really sure about up there but your really not to far from the beach. best advice i can give you for up there is there are a couple of tackle shops up your way. if you know were the currituck high school is there is one shop almost across the street from it. they should be able to help you out. i think there is another one a little farther north on the right hand side. but that is about all i can help you with there. if you ever make it around nags head. i can helpl

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Crabdaddy, Nice screen name! Currituck is a tough nut to crack because it can change dramatically in just a few hours. The saltwater and freshwater boundries shift and change according to the wind and rainfall. For years it was one of the nations prime largemouth fisheries and along came a drought and a wind tide that flooded Currituck and lower Back Bay with saltwater and the largemouth fishery was pretty poor after that.
I released 3 8lb+ bass for a guy who fished that flood up in Back Bay. He said that he had caught more big bass that day than all combined up until that day. I asked him where he was fishing and he said most of them came from around the edges of peoples yards. Sorta like tossing to a weedy shoreline. Lots of homes were totally underwater. That took place around 1980.
I never fished Currituck except briefly from the bank going out and back to the OBX. I fished mostly Back Bay up in VA. Caught fish on most everything I tried up there. For the most variety I found that the Snagless Sally was tough to beat. My favorites were a #3 1/2 silver blade black & white skirt and a 3 1/2 gold blade with an all yellow skirt. I would throw them right against the bank and down drainage canals and catch just about every species of fish possible. Fishing was great though with just about anything.

Probablly your best bet is to hook up with some of the older crabbers and commercial fishermen from Currituck. They can tell you more than anyone else about how the wind and rain interplays to move the fish and etc from one area to the next and when to expect the arrival and departure of indivdual species in the area. For generations their family income depended on being in the right place at the right time. They are the experts and most are good people. If you treat them with respect and freely lend a helping hand you will learn a whole lot from those guys.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party! Glad to see someone from that area of NC. It is unchartered territory for me so I look forward to your posts!!

Reactions: crabdaddy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for making me feel at home. I will continue to work on Currituck fishing opportunities.
My son and I went to the "ditch", Intercoastal waterway in Coinjock. Saw two schoolie striper caught, but did not have any luck myself. Still learning what and where.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.