NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a custom rod done by Carolina Custom Rods and plan on putting a Shimano Stradic Ci4+4000 FA on it. The rod will be Batson Immortal Blank with Microwave guide system/ Comfort Reel Seat and Fiberglass grips. Do you guys think the Stradic is a good choice for this rod. I forgot but the rod will be 7' medium 8-14 lb, 1/4-5/8 oz.

·
Red X Angler
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will give this a lot thought tonight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Definitely go 2500\3000 size unless you plan to do a lot of bait soaking or fishing in the ocean for a bit bigger fish. I have a 4000 that gets heavy after awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely go 2500\3000 size unless you plan to do a lot of bait soaking or fishing in the ocean for a bit bigger fish. I have a 4000 that gets heavy after awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It will only be used for salt and that is the reason I was going with it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I went with the Okuma RTX-30 on mine as it seemed about right for the build. You will love that rod!! I will upgrade to a Shimano when $$ allows. I'd love to have a Stradic!! Part of my decision was based on the factory 13lbs of drag. I also just ordered carbon fiber washers so should be smooth and possibly 15lb drag. I am spooled with 20lb PPro for a start. I might drop back to 15lb after I try it out.

Reactions: GreyGhost

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Ted I suspect the 3K will handle nearly anything the rod will, and be a lot more comfortable doing it.

Reactions: GreyGhost

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
There's a 2 ounce difference in weight between the two. The ci4 4000 is a touch over 2 ounces lighter than a Battle 3000 so weight isn't an issue with it. I have a pair of 4000 ci4's and the reels aren't heavy at all. For that rod, rated 1/4-5/8 oz it honestly sounds like it would match the 4000 better than a 3000 solely based on the weight at the butt of the rod. That said, I've never handled that rod and am only going by the specs. Personally, since you already know what rod you're having built I would wait until it was complete and then go to the store and check to see which of the two reels you want on it based off of balance.

·
Red X Angler
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a big fan of braid as for some reason just can't get the hang of it so was looking at line capacity on the 4000 for mono. Good point trigger never thought of that. I'm hoping to get this together to bring to the meet get a feel for it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You are paying good money to have a custom build and you are asking us??? A professional is someone who has aquired the skills, knowlge and EXPERIENCE in a specific field. You should be asking what their experience is with that rod & reel and hopfully agree with them. Isn't that what your are paying them for??

A custom build means all the parts (rod, action, power, guide size & position, forgrip, backgrip, reel and reel position) match and work for you at their highest capacity for your specific victim of choice.

I am not trying to be mean to anyone, I just want to help you make an intelegent and informed decision and get the best bang for your hard earned buck.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
you not only have to consider line capacity but weight/balance, and the needed drag level for what you plan to do. 2500-4000 is fine for this rod but selection will depend on those factors as well. The wrong 4000 (or any reel for that matter) is going to get heavy on a long day of fishing. The wrong 2500/3000 might have a weak drag. I went with a carbon fiber reel to see if I could keep the whole thing light, spooled with braid, and balance feels pretty good. I can tell holding it a heavier reel would still feel good though. My reel weighs 6.6 oz before spooling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts