NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sammy, as you well know if you've got a lot of free time that means no money coming in. That has been my problem lately. Too much time and too little money. I have 3 good blanks ready too wrap and I'm afraid to wrap them knowing somebody might talk me into selling them the finished rods. I'm not into that, especially since one is an old brown fenglas blank. I was wondering if we had enough members interested in rod building to get a sub-forum going. I guess not yet. Out of 650 members only about 65 seem to be what I would consider active members. That is a fact of life on forums. You get people who register then disapear into cyberspace.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know if they have enough builders droping in here. I believe NC Angler is finding it's niche and turn out great in the future as more people learn of it and the kind of helpful info they can get here. Hampsteadfishing, as long as the blank hasn't suffered stress fractures of splintered breaks it's not really worn out. A few new guides and wraps can put a old rod back into it's prime. It's not as cheap as a Wally World special but some of the "older" blank tapers aren't being copied or offered any more. I know several guys that would drop a pretty penny for some glass rods, like the ones Browning and David Fritts colaborated on.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I dont build any, but sure do fix a few.

Rodman in Wrightsville Beach NC does custom rod building and repair, dont have his website handy, but if you do a search on the net, check for rodman charters or rodman rod repair/building

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have built a few rods, but if pier dweller should walk up with one of his pieces of art work, I would probably chunk mine overboard. I am constantly rewrapping guides and repairing, personanly would not give a good kick in the behind for the newer ceramic guides for saltwater use. I seem to have an over kill of outfits, biggest decision some days is which oufits to take fishing (goes back to childhood hangup When I accidently threw my only rod and reel in and couldn't afford to replace it)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hampstead, if you like the way that rod works then it is worth it to rebuild it. And yes you could do it . Rod building is something that anyone can do but some people excell at. You would be suprised at how simple the basic build is. It is only when you go to getting fancy that it can get a little complicated. It is not a job for someone who is impatient. I've got rods that I reworked close to 30 yrs ago that still look good and fish good. If you go to the trouble to wrap your own you will find that you will take better care of them than an off the shelf rod.
AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Personally, I think maybe I have missed something on the new graphite rods or maybe I have broken to many tips fishing in very cold weather , but my preference is still rebuilding some of the old fiberglass rods. Two of my favorite fly rods are an old Fenwick 8 ft. brown #7 and an el cheapo Eagle Claw #8 that I would not trade for the highest priced new rods on the market. When you use a fly rod that feels like an extension of your body you just keep on babying it and fixing it. Forrest

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sinker man--- My Eagle Claw is gold. Don't have mod # as I am now back home giving fish a much needed rest. I also have a 7 1/2ft. Eagle Claw #7 4 piece Trailmaster that is a dandy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Back before the kids came along, I can remember fishing quite often in the middle of winter with ice in the running guides and tip top. Never popped any of the graphite tips. My first experience with a broken tip, on my rod, was when my brother-in-law stuck my smallmouth rod behind the kitchen door. Then my wife had to close it. Since then I have learned, when I get home from a trip the rods go up first!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I feel I need to clarify my problems with graphite tip breakage. On practically every occasion it was due to hung lures and breakage occured when I reached for line and put downward pressure on tip, not snatching and no problem with fish on. It's a situation I never encountered with standard fiberglass, plus I use a lot of light weight and utra light for speck fishing. Forrest

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Unfortunately the rod my buddy made and gave to me 30 year ago is beyond repair, it has a fracture. I think it happened in the trunk on the way home from a trout fishing trip in the mountains a few years back.

Thanks for all the tips and advice though. Maybe I'll try my hand at making a rod one of these days. Sounds like a good winter time project.[font=&quot][/font]

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You had me wondering if we had exactly the same rods! I have a shorter 5 wt brown fenwick. My 9wt is graphite and I have one ea. in 10 wt. Unfortunately they aren't seeing any action at present. Hope to do something about that come Oct. Hampstead, You are right it is best to work on rods when things are a little slower. Patience and attention to detail are easier then. They are the keys to a nice looking job. AL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hampstead, how big is the fractured area. If it's not extremely big it can be repaired and still retain the action. I have made this type of repair several times. Ralph O' Quinn has done several articles on repairing broken rods in Rod Maker Magazine, that is where I learned how to fix problems like fractures and breaks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.