NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weird rumor is going around the lake where I mainly fish, that using cut bream as bait is illegal??!?!??:eek:

Any insights? Is this the law? Or have I been told another untruthtitude? Cause I hate breaking the law. I leave that to Judas Priest......

·
Registered
840 Posts
BC

If you are using a cast net to catch Bream to use for bait then you are in violation. It is illegal to take game fish with a cast net. I am unaware of any law that states you can not use Bream for cut bait.

I will look into this further and get back to you when I have something. OH and thanks for getting that song stuck in my head LOL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are worse songs to have in your head...

thanks for looking into that for us!! you rule. rock on greg, rock on.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Your right I'd rather have the song "Breakin the law" stuck in my head than "Rock on"
Jeezz now there both stuck in there!!!
I use cut and live bream alot for catfishing. As long as a gamefish is taken by hook and line it's ok. And make sure if your using a gamefish that has a slot or size limit that you use fillets and keep the body on ice to prove the size was within limits.. I wouldn't use any gamefish with a size limit as that just seems wrong...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what fish have limits and which ones don't? is there a list online somewhere? I've always wondered that.....

after we know that, then we can all be takin care of business!!

(enjoy!)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Man! What are you!! a washed up DJ.:D.LOL Got me all squinting at the screen like I'm turning Japanese or something...:) North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

LMAO!! That's funny right thar I don't care who ya are!

Anyhow, to answer your question BC:

In Wake County, you may use Bream as cut bait so long as you take it by hook and line. It is illegal to use them anywhere on a trout line or jug.

Notice that I said Wake County. Each county has its own regs regarding the use of live game fish as bait, even if taken by hook and line. I would contact the WRC office in your county for clarification on this.

Also, yes, there are size, slot, and creel limits depending on the species of fish or where you take the fish from. These limits can vary from year to year or county to county so you will want to get the most updated copy of the WRC Rules and regs.

If you're thinking that the state sets people up to fail, you wouldn't be far off the mark.:(

Hope this helps.

and yes, I love JP. Just haven't had that song stuck in my head in years! Many Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.