NC Angler Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to plan a trip to take the memory of a fishing trip that had no rewards.... I've read a bunch on the catches in the Dan river. I've canoed down it once but would like to know the good spots to fish.....

Please, experienced dan river fisher's comments only!! Thanx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fly Man,

Try posting this on the Kayak Fishing forum too. I know a lot of yakers take this river. I am going in early July on a three day yak trip.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Fly Man,

Try posting this on the Kayak Fishing forum too. I know a lot of yakers take this river. I am going in early July on a three day yak trip.
Duplicate posts really don't help that much -- and actually aren't appreciated. Bumping it back onto the "What's New" list like this is probably more likely to do some good. I haven't fished the Dan, can't help you on that one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well atleast thanx for the help..... I thought this post would die out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
depends on what you are fishing for, I havn't fished the river a lot, but I know at the bridge at flippin rd. they stock trout and Ive caught several small mouth bass from around the bridge at 7 islands rd in danbury down to the double bridges in pine hall. Ive heard a lot of people talk about fishing and catching several catfish out of the dan but I personally have never fished for catfish. There are also plenty on suckers and sunfish in those areas as well. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wont post anything specific about the river on a public thread, although I might if a pm is sent to me.
It really depends on how you plan to fish it and what you are fishing for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking to flyfish... I heard catching smallies and trout on the dan are popular, whether wading or canoing down the river. Just dont know where some of the good spots are do do either of them.....

·
Registered
792 Posts
every river fisherman in nc should have this book. It is an excellent resource for put ins and take outs and access points on most rivers in the state, including the dan:
paddling eastern nc by paul ferguson

http://www.pocosinpress.com/

·
Registered
792 Posts
I am looking to flyfish... I heard catching smallies and trout on the dan are popular, whether wading or canoing down the river. Just dont know where some of the good spots are do do either of them.....
I think they only put trout in the way upper area near kibler valley. bass are below collinstown road. I can't comment on areas near madison/mayodan or in va. since I havent been there.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Duplicate posts really don't help that much -- and actually aren't appreciated. Bumping it back onto the "What's New" list like this is probably more likely to do some good. I haven't fished the Dan, can't help you on that one.
Do moderators have the power to move threads to other sections? Curious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
:rolleyes:
I wont post anything specific about the river on a public thread, although I might if a pm is sent to me.
It really depends on how you plan to fish it and what you are fishing for.

Yeah, that's a great reason to be on a message board.......from one Pirate to another.....that don't make no sense, man.

·
Registered
792 Posts

Yeah, that's a great reason to be on a message board.......from one Pirate to another.....that don't make no sense, man.

It makes a whole lot of sense to me.

There might be meat hunters out there googling where to fish and this river is a very small fishery that could be seriously compromised if somebody started taking all of the fish out of it. I fish the Dan extensively and am protective of the resource (catch and release that is).

Like I said, I'll share info in a pm, just not going to get specific about anything in a forum where anybody who knows how to work a search engine can read it.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Yeah mookie, i wanted to say this earlier but i refrained for one reason or another.
Its his choice to not sharethe information openly, he is offering anyone interested enough a chance to pm him for info at his discretion. I applaud your responsibility in not putting info about a small river fishery on a website, where although most people here are very responsible, there are many "lurkers" who will take such info and destroy the river.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow... Sorry i didnt know the Dan was that special. I've never caught a fish in that river nor have i ever kept a fish that i have ever caught. I dont like taking home fish for some reason, strictly catch-n-release for me.

Reactions: FishinCary

·
Registered
792 Posts
no problem flyman!
I encourage you to PM me,....nothing really different about the dan than any other smallmouth river.....
I just don't want to talk about it in the forum. I'd be happy to share some access points with you although I know little about trout, only smallies.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
please don't take the privacy of fishing to the extreme i will say there is a good smallie population there they might not be the largest fish in the state but there are good # i will not post fish by this rock here publicly as for it has kicked my rear last year but i have found on here i did pm a few people wiht exact info included in that colors actual trees even a few got gps coordinates and i did see a slight decline but not sure if i was off or it was being overfished this is a very helpful website to alot of people fishing is a passion of mine i treat it very seriously i want people to enjoy my experience's and have the memories i have made i have been blessed with the ablity to speak to people openly (not too shy ) so as i speak about fishing people see how passionate i am and they open up and share with me there place's because as a good steward to the envroment i will not litter or overfish there place as i catch and release or exersise limited harvest of non trophy fish ....... with that rave... fear not it's a small world after all when i think i am in a new place that has never been fished before i just look up for the corks :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Flyman, you might want to try TALKING TO A FLY SHOP in the area, doing google searchers or reading a book about the Dan. Asking where the best fishing spots are that might have took others a lifetime to learn isn't the best way to find out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Asking where the best fishing spots are that might have took others a lifetime to learn isn't the best way to find out.
I dont want "the best spot in the river". I just want somehwere to start and then its on my own from there. Besides my question was already answered, why are u in here trolling around? Friendly much?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Yall need to play nice there are plenty of fish and places besides I pm'd him with a few already that I fish so he did get a response from. The post just not a public one for the "lurkers"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.