NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man, he got me again! :rolleyes:
From our last Fla trip, ended up leavin some rods/reels behind due to alot of stuff the boys got for Xmas.. and it'd been buggin me for a while now.. and for some reason tackle monkey jump'd on my back and made me get 4 new set ups!!

4 Shakespear 7 ft rods (model SP 2970-1MH), cork handles $12 each at Wally world

Shakespeare Fishing Tackle

4 Okuma AV-40's at $35 each

Okuma Reels @ Digitaldagger

Nothin fancy by any means and will be perfect for fresh water and light bay fishin.
Hardest part now is to figure out whether to stay with light mono or go with braid

For under $50 ea. for a rod/reel combo... hard to beat.. DANG THAT TACKLE MONKEY!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
2 different size monos and 2 different size braids? I try to keep rigs specialized for different types of fishing. Grab and go. That reminds me. I need another rod rack. Dang tackle monkey.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm with Crummy, go 2 and 2. Knowing you take kids and newbies fishing a lot - let them use the mono - braid is great for most types of light gear fishing but when it gets tangles/birds nests - forget it - you are done fishing with that line for a while or you cut out an expensive chuck of line to save time. Save the two braided lines for the more experienced fisherman.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am loyal to mono. I only use braid in deep cover or really deep jiggin'. My daughter has 4 rods of her own for catfish, bream, and bass. She does need a trout rod so I may pass one down and restock. Dang tackle monkey.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You know I'm a mono guy.. I have maybe one or two Shimano 2000's with braid and the other 30 rods are mono set ups.

I'm thinkin Yozuri 8 or 10 lb Hybrid... just dont know what I want to do.
Agreed Mike about Braid... love it when it works, hate it when it tangles, not to mention cuts wet hands pretty easily, especially in the small diameter(s).

Dang Crummy!!! I didnt even think about a rod rack....

Whoops,, there went the monkey runnin by again!!!... he's loose guys...

Cabin fever, new spring Cabella's, Basspro, Capt Harry's, Offshore Angler catalogs comin' in the mail... the need to get out and fish and tax returns comin.... Tis a dangerous time right now!! :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My wife got me one for Christmas one year, so I hung it in the garage. Works good, so I got another. Now I'm running out of room and time for another. I even hung up an old gunrack with my flyrods in it.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
braid is great for most types of light gear fishing but when it gets tangles/birds nests - forget it - you are done fishing with that line for a while or you cut out an expensive chuck of line to save time..
Ya know Mike,, I think I can have best of both worlds... just dawned on me.. the reels came with Spare spools, so I have 4 spare spools... duh! either do two sizes mono or one mono one braid....

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Ya know Mike,, I think I can have best of both worlds... just dawned on me.. the reels came with Spare spools, so I have 4 spare spools... duh! either do two sizes mono or one mono one braid....
There ya go. that is what I have with my Shimano Stradics - spare spools loaded with mono but braid on the main spool. You just can't beat the braid for sensitivity and it holds up well in those oyster beds. I keep a small wooden dowel on board to use when I get hung up - saves the fingers and hands.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.