NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K I`m sure you`re not thrilled to hear that I to am going to be relocating. I have an interview and then were looking at homes in Princeton. I currently live on L.I and frequently fish the striped bass mecca (Montauk). I do mostly SW fishing and was wondering which species of fish you catch in the bay? My favorite inshore fish to catch is the fluke(summer flounder) and they get pretty big up here. Do you catch them in the bay ? If so what size? How about striped bass? I also love offshore but dont have the boat for this I go on my friends boat.I have a 24ft. Mark Twain w/a with a I/O. There are many questions that I have like boat launches, marinas,baits,lures etc. I will start with this and ask as we go .Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome Flukenicehole-I moved from Islip, LI to N.C. about 3years ago. Although I'm not the most experienced angler, I can say that you'll probably love the great fishing opportunities here. Plenty of Flounder (called Fluke as ya say up North), Black Drum, Red Drum, Trout, Sheepshead, and Stripers to list a few! I'll leave the how, where and when for the more experienced anglers here of which there are quite a few. You definitely came to a great site for info as your about to find out. As of recently, I'm getting into the offshore aspects of angling since I traded up to a deep v CC. Good luck with your move! I'm sure you'll be happy in NC and find the anglers on this site extremely helpful as I have.

AL

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome to NC in advance. In the Pamlico Sound you can catch flounder, trout, Red Drum, Tarpon (July/August), croaker, etc. For the bigger flounder you'll have to go to the inlets or near shore artificial reefs, sunken ships, etc. I'm sure others will jump in with some advice.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to the site! The Princeton, NC I'm familiar with is between Goldsboro and Smithfield, so I assume the "bay" you are referring to is actually the Pamilico sound.

The Summer flounder down here get as large as 12 - 15 pounds but it would be rare to catch one that size. 2-3 pounds is more common but it's not unusual to catch them in the 5-7 pound range either.

We also have several other types of flounder here. The Southern Flounder which is similar to the Summer except the large ocellated spots are much more diffuse in the southern flounder and generally disappear in adult individuals. The Gulf flounder is also found here, it is smaller and less common. It has 3 spots on it's left side, one on the lateral line and one above and below the line forming a triangle of sorts. The summer flounder is mainly found in the ocean and near inlets. The Southern flounder is found mainly inshore. We do infrequently see a winter flounder here but they are not common.

We get striped bass off the outer banks as well as in many of the rivers, Check out our striper forum for more info.

Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You guys I`ve been trolling around the site and there is a wealth of information here. Topsail yes that is the Princeton I`m looking into. How far offshore do you have to run to get into Mahi,tuna,mako. Here we typically run 30mi. for shark and 70 for tuna. We start getting the mahi about 25mi. out.I`m excited about this and really hope th einterview goes well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have caught Mahi in as close as 10 miles but usually have to run further out. It all depends on the time of year. Tuna (YF, BF, etc) are most common in the 35 plus mile range. Not sure about the mako as I've never caught one. Down here King Mackerel is a huge fishery and they migrate east/west - in the fall you can catch them 2-3 miles off the beach but most of the summer they are in the 10-20 mile range. Bill fish are another popular species (Blue and White Marlin, Sailfish, etc) as is Wahoo - you'll most often find them in the 35+ mile range but occasionaly a bill fish will come in closer.

I believe the ranges I listed are reasonable guidelines, but what makes ocean fishing so much fun is you never know. As my grandfather would say, the fish don't always read the same books we do......

·
Registered
422 Posts
My mom works at the school in Princeton. Small world!! It is a very small but close knit town. I love fishing and floating the Little River around there. Small river but very productive.
The fishing here is wonderful, but I am originally from "God's Country!!" I live in Havelock, NC and fish the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound. You are about 65 miles from New Bern and an additional 30 or so from Morehead City. There are boat ramps galore all around. If you go to ncwaterways.com you can order some free maps that show the majority of the ramps and gives you a good idea of the areas. Free stuff is always great!!
Go either North or South from here and you're going to great fishing also. As for the how to, that's the fun part....learning. And yes, this site has alot of info.
Welcome aboard from JD.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome Fluke! Montauk is awesome! I have been out on Long Island when visiting my wife's family up there.

A lot of the same species down here just different seasons. Where the big Blues hang around all summer up there we catch the bigger ones in spring and fall passing through. Our Striper bite is best in the winter months here.
The Flounder bite has been on the decline here for several years but in my humble opinion is making a comeback.

Reactions: FlounderPounder

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K I just found the Thank You button LOL. JDHD yes it is a small world out there and Thank You for the ncwaterways web site. I`ve been searching around it this morning. I love the free charts I wouldnt use them for navigation but it gives me a general idea of the area.When do you get the flounder in the Palmico sound? It`s a shollow area and was wondering when they arrive? Up here we get them starting in May and lasting right through the season. With the new regs there talking about here the season will be shorter again this season. Last year was 4 fish at 18in. This year there talking about 3 at 19 but they are not sure yet.We should know the day after the season opens what the regs are lol. Bigger fish are caught in deeper water usually but I`ve got some nice fish in as little as 5 ft. I guess fishing is fishing and if you find the bait the bigger fish will come. Thanks again everyone I`ll talk to you soon I`m sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.