·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the dates and approximate times for the 2007 NCFPS Word Tour

Saturday - Oct 6th
Avalon Pier – Early Morning until Mid Morning
Nags Head Pier – Mid Morning until Mid Afternoon
Outer Banks Pier – Mid Afternoon until ?
Sunday – Oct 7th
Rodanthe Pier – Morning
Avon Pier - Afternoon
Monday - Oct 8th
Frisco Pier – Morning
(Hatteras – Ocracoke Ferry, Ocracoke to Cedar Island Ferry)
Tuesday – Oct 9th
Oceanana Pier – Early Morning until Mid Morning
Sheraton Pier Mid Morning until Mid Afternoon
Bogue Inlet Pier – Mid Afternoon to ?
Wednesday – Oct 10th
Seaview Pier – Early Morning to Mid Morning
Surf City Pier – Mid Morning to Mid Afternoon
Jolly Roger Pier – Mid Afternoon to ?
Thursday – Oct 11th
Johnnie Mercer's Pier - Early Morning to Mid Morning
Carolina Beach Pier - Mid Morning to Mid Afternoon
Kure Beach Pier – Mid Afternoon to ?
Friday Oct 12th
Yaupon Pier - Morning
Ocean Crest Pier - Afternoon
Saturday Oct 13th
Holden Beach Pier – Early Morning to Mid Morning
Ocean Isle Beach Pier - Mid Morning to Mid Afternoon
Sunset Beach Pier – Mid Afternoon to ?

This tour is open to anyone and if you can't fish the entire trip, join me for what you can, if we get enough people on a day or a pier I bet I can get a sponsor and do an event at that pier or for the day.
Email me at [email protected] and let me know if you are interested

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'll have to wait until closer to time to be sure but I'm in for at least some of it!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My son and I did it last year to document all of the piers before we lost anymore. I wasn't going to do it again but after some people heard about it they have requested the I put another one together so I am giving everyone notice.

Unless something changes with the way we value our ocean access losing piers and other points of access is going to continue. The demand for single unit ocean front housing is at an all time high and there is too much money chasing too few acres. Thank goodness for Frank Stick and others that saw that Cape Hatteras need to be preserved and even that access is being challenged these days. But the coast is being privatized.

I should check my notes but we lost 7 piers during Bertha and Fran mostly because the real estate started to rise ahead of the money that the piers were generating. If the same type of weather event would occur today we could lose more than that.

I have looked at the remaining 20 and if kind of ranked them if they would be damaged by storms which would rebuild I have 6 definites, 6 definitely not and 8 in between. In 2003 Isabel took out all the ones on the norther Outer Banks 3 rebuilt, 1 is waiting for the state to give them money and one didn't. The one that didnt I think is very interesting. Kitty Hawk Pier had paid $85,000 for 1,000,000 worth of insurance, they had a 250,000 deductible and the estimate to rebuild was 1.6 million. They chose not to rebuild.

Today I do not beleive there is one pier carry insurance for planks over the water. One owner told me his insurance was $50,000 a year with a 150,000 deductible for 400,000 coverage. that would not even start to rebuild it.

At least 3 piers are looking for new owners. Any way my air conditioning guy is here to fix the house unit so I have to go, but thanks for giving me a chance to vent. - Al

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I will try to make some of it and possibly all of it! This is a great idea. I won't know for sure until the dates draw closer.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've joined. I encourage all of you to do the same. We are losing a great resource and one of the few "family" things to do together anymore at a venue that is resonably affordable....

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a good chance for a designated Meet -n- Greet doesnt it. Get some of us together and show an organized support.

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the info Roadkillal....just signed up. Had no idea such a group existed. I have a lot of great memories of growing up fishing on piers w/ my dad and hope to pass that on to my son when he gets older. It's good to see a group dedicated to preserving them.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Like Topsail Angler I will definitely try to make to the Topsail piers and possibly the Oak Island piers.

Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'll be coming out the 9th -11th if the Doc don't shut me down!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
It is almost time to start the tour! Thought I'd bump it back up for the new guys and gals!!

Reactions: rangergreg281

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't tell you how excited I am for this. I have been laying awake a night mentally catching fish. In addition to the Gotcha stuff to win, I will be giving away 2007 World Tour Shirts at various piers too (I am not sure how many, but whatever I have left).

Hey and if you are in the Morehead City listening area I am going to be on the Dr Bogus radio show discussing the tour, fish and piers on Monday, Oct 8th. Here is the information:

"Ask Dr. Bogus" is on the radio every Monday 7:30 AM, WTKF 107.3 FM 1240 AM. Call in and Ask Dr. Bogus, 800.818.2255. 3) drbogus.com can now be accessed at http://69.36.162.232.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If Mom's doing well I'm still gonna make it to Sea View/Surf City/Jolly Roger at least... I'm really looking forward to it!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking forward to seeing you there. I am about an hour away from leaving. Tonight I will be surf fishing in Nags Head and then tomorrow start getting serious. I am hoping to meet a lot of you out there. The weather looks to be good and I am getting great fishing reports from the piers. FYI - Pier Legend Angelo DePaola caught another king or half of one(the shark got the other half) yesterday and a 153 pound tarpon was caught at the Roger. I will post when I can

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.