NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just became a member of this great site. Started fishing last year when my buddies bought a 26 ft whaler. We have been out a couple of times but all the secret holes dont seem to have decent fish . I would like to find some fish we usuall try for grouper, flounder etc but would like any help for any fish. Thanks and good fishing.:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ok, a little north of Wilmington, I'll assume you run out of Masonboro.
Lot's of great fishin the area there, and I fish out of there 99% of the time.

You can find flatties all the way out to AR376, and some around AR386, Topsail Angler would be more of a help on that type fish for inland/nearshore.

Offshore wrecks/bottom to check out if you havent already is 23 mile rock, Esso Nashville, WR4, School house and the dredge wrecks. Once in them areas your looking at groupers, bonita, amberjacks, mahi and even sails. We've seen sails in as close as 376.

Stream runnin, plan on a east run at or about 60+ miles for wahoo/tuna/marlin/mahi
Snowy grouper wreck is way out there but doable on a good day (about a 70+ mile run) and to the north is south big rock (about 90 mile run one way) and Steeples off Fryin pan tower (about a 75 mile run) all out of Masonboro.

Plenty of wrecks and in closer reefs... simply too many to name in one post.. just visit NCDMF - North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries and check out the reefs.. plenty of #'s,, but beware most just get you in the ball park if you havent already seen that, but it does whittle down the investigating time and puts you in the ball park.

Dont think too many folks will pass out their secret hole #'s very easily here as well... but I wouldnt give up completely on whatever #'s you have.. fish have fins.. so they may be back.. Spring fishin is about to pick up here too.. so somethin to keep in mind.

Again, welcome on and post up pix and a report when you get the big'ns! ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you are looking for some flatties in shore - right across from the marina is a nice marsh creek and channel - turn left (north) on the ICW and the first right is Uttley creek - try there. If you follow it around curving to the right it turn into Nixon Channel and comes back out into the ICW just south of the Marina. If you bear to the left instead when you hit Nixon Channel it takes you to Rich Inlet. Any of the marsh creeks and sand flats in that area will hold flounder in the spring and fall. Offshore, try AR364 about 3 miles off Figure 8 Island. You can go to the NCDMF site and click on the artifical reef link and get all the numbers of the 4 tugs and barges sunk there - the numbers are right on since they updated them last year. The flounder stack up there in the summer.

Grouper holes, well that's like getting a banker to tell you the combination to the safe :eek:;)

The advice Dave gave is of course right on. Another good way to find spots is pick up a copy of a 'Maps Unique' chart. They are real good and have lots of live bottom and ledges marked. They will get you in the general area then you can use the scope to mark the bottom and find the fish.

Let me know when you are heading out, I'm on the water a lot as I live in Hampstead. My call sign is "Fly AWay" and I monitor 68,69,72 and of course 9 & 16.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ya'll are awesome with all of your knowledge for those of us who are still novices to this great sport.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
For some good reading and a couple of good links search 'Chpp hard bottom'. you should get 2 threads one 2 pgs. long with some good tips and a link to the states map of hard bottom areas and the link Dave gave above. I think you will have to scroll down to pg.28 for the appropriate hard bottom map in the habitat protection plan.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello David, Welcome to NCangler. I tell you one thing, you better be ready when you ask this site for information, it comes at you in waves. These folks know, just plain and simple, they know. Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Topsail angler, i just read your blog and see that you scuba dive, me too, I have not been down around here much but dive alot in the carribean ,caymans ,turks etc. Thanks for the info earlier. I dont know if you seen that we were going out Saturday? Maybe i will get you on the radio to see how things are going if you are going out. Thanks again David.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Ah - here is where you will get some debate......:)

When chunking (dead natural bait) I use what is available, finger mullet, spanish sardines, northern mackerel and if I have some cigar minnows that are getting old I will use them (too expensive to use on a regular basis). Boston Mackerel is great but I only see it in 50 pound boxes around here (this is the bait of choice for many of the local commercial grouper guys). Squid is also good.

I usually put the bait fish inside the squid then thread the fish on the hook making sure I put the hook through both gill plates (that is the hardest part of the fish). Sometimes if the chunks are too big I'll put the squid on the hook first then the fish beside it (instead of inside).

For Live bait - about anything will do but a small pinkie, pinfish or cigar minnow work well. I cut their caudal fin so they can't swim as well and to add a little smell to the water.

Lately I've been jigging for them using a butterfly jig - works great but you really need a speciallized jigging rod (hello tackle monkey) to get the right action imparted to those butterfly jigs.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hello Topsail angler, i just read your blog and see that you scuba dive, me too, I have not been down around here much but dive alot in the carribean ,caymans ,turks etc. Thanks for the info earlier. I dont know if you seen that we were going out Saturday? Maybe i will get you on the radio to see how things are going if you are going out. Thanks again David.

Hey David - unfortunetly I will be out of town this week-end so I won't be fishing :( Otherwise I'd meet you on the water. I hope you catch 'em up (but do save me a few ;)).

Yup - I love to scuba dive. There are some nice wrecks and ledges to dive here. You have to pick youir days to get out when the visibility is decent but sometimes we get 60' or better. I'll give ya some good numbers if you want to try some spots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.