NC Angler Forums banner

Dawson Creek Saturday 8/18

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  cvwillis 
#1 ·
My buddy Bob and I went to Dawson Creek yesterday with kayaks and fishing gear to try our luck with the reds, trout, and flounder. Not much success but lots of fun anyway. Bob hooked but did not boat a nice flounder and I boated (but did not hook) a nice croaker. The croaker was hooked by a fellow whose rod was snatched into the water and I managed to recover it for him. My reward for getting the rod back was reeling in his fish.

Ran into a couple of fellows who were having great luck with flounder just outside the Dawson Creek bridge (leading into the Neuse river where it is about 3 miles wide). We tried to paddle into the area they mentioned but the wind had kicked up and the swells and whitecaps were more than I wanted to battle. Next time, I'll take the Bateau.

All-in-all a great day. Certainly better than a day at work.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Yep, thanks were heard all around! The fellow had laid his rod down with the reel on top of a short sea-wall so a good sized pin fish could have pulled it in! Also, the rod was in only a foot or so of water ... stuck in the muddy bottom. It actually was a pretty nice croaker. If it had been mine, it would have been part of a balanced meal later Saturday evening. I've definitely got to get my Jones Brothers repaired so I can get out in the river next time.

Reactions: Dave B.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.