NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the dreaming/planning phase of a trout fishing trip. I'm new to trout fishing and thought it would be fun to take a short trip up around Boone one weekend and try it out. I live in the Kernersville area and wondered if anyone had any recommended spots around Boone to try it out. I don't have any fly gear yet so I thought I would try out some spinner bait.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
When are you planning on going, are you wanting to try for some to eat, catch and release, wild trout? I am not that much of a trout fisherman, but I may be able to give a few pointers.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I recommend trying to find a guide the first time you do it. Tell them what you want to do / learn, and they can probably help you an order of magnitude more than trial-and-error. For example, if you tell them you want to learn trout fishing in streams you can walk into in such-and-such an area, they can tailor your trip a bit. Then you can take what you learn from that and expand on it with later trips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I figured I would take a quick trip with the wife and kid and hopefully catch something to cook. When I went to Buckeye Lake near Beach Mountain, I remember several areas along the way where you could pull off the road and fish in the stream. But I would probably be better off finding a guide since I didn't have much luck that trip :) Next time I had hoped to find something closer to Boone to make the drive a little shorter.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Island park in Todd has some good trout fishing on the new river. It is delayed harvest. There are plenty of rivers to access in the area but they can be a little hard to figure out sometimes.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
From now until April finding trout in the Hatchery supported waters is going to be tuff. The HS waters will be closed thru March till sun-up on the first Sat. in April. To find a few for dinner you will need to be on HS waters with April thru July being the best time of the year IMHO.

DH (Delayed Harvest) waters are your best bet to catch trout this time of year. But you must fish with a single hook artifical lure (no scent on bait or added attractant)

When you decide to come this way send me a PM I have some ideas that may suit you. Finding a place of interest to the wife and kid while your fishing is another thing to consider if it is warm enough I have never seen a kid that doesn't enjoy wading and throwing rocks, but if it is too cold to be in the water you may want to get dropped off to fish while they explore the local points of interest.

If work permits I might even be up for joining you it has been several years since I have been meat fishing.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Lots of streams around that area and some ponds. Check the regulations closely and look for the signs nailed to the trees. The online maps at NCWRC are a good tool as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the tips! I think I may try that Island Park in Todd. Looks like a fairly short trip and they have a General Store in the area for some snacks and such for the family.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Darrell! If I head that way I'll send you a PM.

From now until April finding trout in the Hatchery supported waters is going to be tuff. The HS waters will be closed thru March till sun-up on the first Sat. in April. To find a few for dinner you will need to be on HS waters with April thru July being the best time of the year IMHO.

DH (Delayed Harvest) waters are your best bet to catch trout this time of year. But you must fish with a single hook artifical lure (no scent on bait or added attractant)

When you decide to come this way send me a PM I have some ideas that may suit you. Finding a place of interest to the wife and kid while your fishing is another thing to consider if it is warm enough I have never seen a kid that doesn't enjoy wading and throwing rocks, but if it is too cold to be in the water you may want to get dropped off to fish while they explore the local points of interest.

If work permits I might even be up for joining you it has been several years since I have been meat fishing.

Darrell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.