NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing at one of my regular spots the other day when I saw a buzzard sittin on the bank. I chunked a rock at him to get him to fly away which he did. I went to investigate and it was a dead grass carp. Then today I saw a dead bass( 3lber). I caught 2 3-3.5lbers last week and I think this dead one might be one of them. I highly dought it was me that killed it though cause they both swam off strong. There is also a fair amount of dead bream. What do you guy think is the problem here.

Pollution( the place looks like a landfill)
cooter
other fish.....
high temps
gut hooked
other fishermen
or other

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Even though a fish swims off strong doesn't mean a whole lot. Infection and stress is the killer. 24-48 hours will tell the story.
Seen bunches of fish swim off strong after tournaments. 3 days later 2 coves down from the ramp you got a ton of floaters.

This was a big thing within BASS back in the 80's. The scandal. There were some whistle blowers within the ranks making the pages of magazines.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yeah, on hot days mortality is generally over 10% even with livewells. I don't have a problem with that; they still have less impact than if they kept all the fish. But good fishery management and good PR are two very different things...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
How big is the pond? And did you snag that bass or was the trebble hook there when you found it? Two summers ago I took on the worst and smelliest job of my life.... cleaning a pond of over 500lbs of dead fish. The heat had lowered the oxygen in the water and killed the fish. the 6 big grass carp were the first to go. Followed shortly by 250+ giant shell crackers that the old man had fed like pets for the last twenty years of his life. Only ever found one bass though, never really knew if they sank to the bottom, survived, or there was only one there to start with but now the pond is mossed over and appears uninhabitable to anything but turtles and frogs.
It's a creepy thing now. First the mans wife died, then his house started falling apart, then all of the fish that he loved to take care of died, and then finally he passed on too. His big old house that was so beautiful is now old and broken, the gardens that were once so well taken care of are now hardly distinguishable from the forests around it, and the pond is dead. Everything is dead. Sure am lucky I don't believe in ghosts cause I can sure tell you some creepy places in JoCo lol.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My golf course had a bunch of grass carp go belly up between Sunday and Tuesday this week. Never seen a dead fish in these ponds before

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I snagged the dead bass with a treble like swampin said. A cooter is a snappin turtle( just looked it up in urban dictionary..... did not know there was another definition, sorry about that.)I am fishin a pond. I didn't gawk at the bass I caught just weighed it and took a few pics.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmmmmm. So many potential variables. All species so far mentioned are low-oxygen tolerating types. Just hard to say. Turtles don't hunt fish, unless it's a snapper wagging his tongue. Pollution, fertilizer run-off, lack of turn -over... This wouldn't happen to be on a golf course, would it? Triploid grass carp are usually intentionally stocked.. Maybe tell us the location?? Ha-ha.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmmmm. So many potential variables. All species so far mentioned are low-oxygen tolerating types. Just hard to say. Turtles don't hunt fish, unless it's a snapper wagging his tongue. Pollution, fertilizer run-off, lack of turn -over... This wouldn't happen to be on a golf course, would it? Triploid grass carp are usually intentionally stocked.. Maybe tell us the location?? Ha-ha.
A medium sized pond on a college campus, there is little water movement, trash and duck crap everywhere.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Okay... Considering your location, maybe an influx of freshwater? Lots of rain lately? This would cause a rapid turnover in water quality that the fish couldn't acclimate to.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I got mixed up and thought a cooter was a snappin turtle but apparently not. I meant snappin turtle. A big snappin turtle followed my topwater frog today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts