NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't have time for fishing but I had to make some time for a few casts during this heat wave. I made a short stop at Durant on the way past this afternoon around 1pm. Threw a rattling lipless crankbait around the weed edge by the dam wall in the lower lake for about 30 minutes. Got this very healthy, very strong slab crappie. Hadn't ever caught a crappie at Durant before. Not sure what he's been eating, but he's been enjoying it.

I bought the bait this weekend at Lew's Rod & Reel in Havelock. Its his own store brand. This one was a chartreuse with a black back Vibe - a shapely plastic trap bait in the style of the lucky craft, yo-zuri, etc... versions of the original. According to legend, Lew buys his painted crankbait bodies from a Disabled American Vet in Durham, rigs them up with hardware and packaging and sells them for around $3.25. Mine is 3 days old and has already paid for itself with this fish!

The weeds are only starting to die out at Durant. They're no longer on the surface, but have only sunk a few inches below along that lower end of the lake. Still looks like early October out there.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good looking slab and a good looking bait!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.