NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am fairly new to the area and was wondering if it is worth the time to try for specs and drum the week after X-mas out of Oriental.
Any suggestions or tips are appreciated !!!
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to NC Angler! I live a little further south (Topsail) but I'm sure they will be there that time of year just as they are here. You will need to be patient and adjust your fishing for the colder temps. Best bet is to look for them in deep water if it hasn't been cold for too long (takes the deeper water longer to get cold at the bottom) or to look for them in shallow, sandy bottom water on really sunny, warm days. You will need to have a very slow retreive in any case.

I caught trout each of the four days after Christmas last year and caught drum on two of those days.

I'm sure some of the folks from up that way will chime in too.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome Bruce! A couple of our Blog Captain members are guides in Oriental and maybe one of them will jump in regarding your post. I've heard that the Spec fishing has been very good the past couple weeks down that way. Topsail is right though about the cold temps and deeper water. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bruce welcome to to the site I live on the otherside of the Neuse but if we don't get a real hard coll spell the trout and drum should be laying right where everybody is saying. I would try Dawsons Creek.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.