NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
Im really trying to find a couple fish before break which is under 10 days, i am currently on a long skunk streak.

im in wilmington, looking for trout or reds.. we have been fishing the inlets and surf pretty hard, but it hasnt been productive. Caught just a few trout in a baythe other week, but they were all undersized.. since then fishing has been slow.
looking for some advice here, should i be looking in creeks or surf? weve been fishing deep water, but that hasn't held much along the beach. the wrightsville jetty hasnt held much either this winter
Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
Billy referenced a good piece of material in the top spot map in another thread. That will at least get you started. The winter time
doldrums have definitley not set in and likely won't anytime soon as nice as the weathers been so far this fall. Texs' Tackle carries those maps locally.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Thanks Neil.
Brad with the weather in the next couple of days looking bad, stick to what you feel comfortable doing.
Start a few hours before low tide, let the water warm a bit. Clear water makes it easier to sight cast.
Hope this helps. ....... ICM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Trout have been in the middle and backs of creeks for 2 months now. Most caught in 3-5 feet of water. Easily accessible. Reds are stacking in the surf but i have not been able to mess with that yet

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
thanks guys, we managed 6 trout yesterday in a whole in the creeks, one keeper that was 20 inches, tasted great! hoping to get out more still.
I'm in Hampstead and catching lots of trout but nothing close to a one in six keeper ratio. I'd take your 20" fish along with 5 spikes for sure. Sounds like you are getting dialed into them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6 is a record for me ha, i wish i could catch 5 spikes and a nice one every time, but that just doesn't seem to happen. they were all in the same place, i may have found myself a new hole :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.