NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to Jamestown right beside high point city lake which is literately in my back yard and was wondering if there's any good bank fishing to be done on the river. Looking for a spot to bait up and catch cats and carp but my 5 year old just wants to catch anything and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Deep river is a very healthy fishery. Especially downstream from you in Asheboro. I do very well on largemouth bass sunfish and bull head cats. A buddy even scored a freshwater eel just the other night.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea me and my 5 year old are gonna go tomorrow at the lake and try it for the first time around lunch. I'm gonna carry a few bass baits and try those night throw alittle chow and try to catch a cat or 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
From Business 85 to Randleman Reservoir the banks on both sides of river are owned by PTRWA and is off limits. The lake warden and game wardens patrol often. They own 200ft of bank on each side of river all the way to to bus85. Found this out the other day! HAd launched the yaks to fish and got a visit from the wardens. Oh well. Just a warning for us. Great fishing in the river though.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
From Business 85 to Randleman Reservoir the banks on both sides of river are owned by PTRWA and is off limits. The lake warden and game wardens patrol often. They own 200ft of bank on each side of river all the way to to bus85. Found this out the other day! HAd launched the yaks to fish and got a visit from the wardens. Oh well. Just a warning for us. Great fishing in the river though.

Could you launch somewhere between 85 business and old HP city lake and float down and then paddle back up? Every time I pass over the river at 85 business I think it looks worth a try. Do the wardens care if you stay in the river and off the banks?

·
Red X Angler
3,749 Posts
In NC, if you can paddle a canoe or kayak down it, it's considered 'navigable in fact, if not in practice or used for such.' Rivers that are navigable in fact, are able to be accessed by the public. As such, if you can paddle it, you can move up and down the river.

However.... "the right of navigation gives no license to go and come through and over the riparian owner's land without 'let or hindrance.' Similarly, those navigating a river have no right...to land upon and use the bank at a place other than a public landing without the consent of the owner, for the banks of a navigable stream are private property." One source states that the law does not go so far as to say that landowners' rights end at the water line... "As the Supreme Court noted in State v. Baum, "we are not prepared to say that a land owner would be liable to criminal prosecution because he happened to put a Watergate across a creek up which otherwise an idle hunter might be able to pole a canoe..." (128 N.C. at 604)

The way I understand it to be is that if you can find a lawful launch point, you should be able to paddle the river... you may just not be allowed to get OFF the river anywhere other than a public launch. Now... where the Deep River becomes Randleman Reservoir, I do not know. My bet, based on how the PTRWA has acted in the past, is that they will try to tell you that you cannot paddle the river anywhere that they own the land around it... you may need to contact an attorney to study where the river becomes designated as 'lake' and becomes therefore in their jurisdiction. They will probably assume that to be in the same place where their land ownership takes place, but in NC, landowners do not own the river that runs through that land, just the land itself. PTRWA has the reputation of being mean and nasty when it comes to fighting these types of things, but that is by reputation and outside my personal experience. I do know they are very picky when it comes to bank access of Randleman Reservoir, and to take a boat above the pump house at the Groometown Road bridge is to incur a talking-to by the lake warden driving over said bridge in his truck. :rolleyes: If I were a canoeing enthusiast, I would probably have an attorney take a look and provide me with written evidence of where I have the right to paddle, because I would not be surprised if PTRWA tried to bulldog me into believing their version of it whether it's based on law or not.

Clear as mud? Let us know if you find more definitive answers.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Deep River

Yea me and my 5 year old are gonna go tomorrow at the lake and try it for the first time around lunch. I'm gonna carry a few bass baits and try those night throw alittle chow and try to catch a cat or 2

My son and I are going there today too. Gonna see if the bass are ready to play..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts