NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching deep sea charters for Sailfish from NC to FL. My question has to do with the cost of the charters, some charters are 900.00 for 8 hours and some charters are 1400.00 for 8 hours for the same type of fishing. I have never been on a charter and was wondering if its worth the extra price or just to go with the cheaper charters? Any opinions or advice? Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
if you want to target sailfish i would go with south florida, including the keys during the winter months up until around may. If you want a charter with a great captain in north carolina i recommend the Twin Bills out of teachs lair in hatteras. Willie is the captain, a really good guy who works without a mate, so you are more directly involved...a plus in my opinion. 950.00 for a full day. Dont plan on sailfish in north carolina....they are not a target species here. Wahoo are a good bet in september/october out of hatteras.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We have been renting boats in marathon florida for the past twenty years. If you are comfortable doing your own thing without booking a charteer this may be an option to consider. Sailfish can be caught within five miles of the shoreline....even closer in the the fort lauderdale palm beach area. Aga3in, the winter, spring months are your best bet. A few years ago we were in marathon in early may and a charter boat caught thirty six sails in one day. A keys record i believe. We have caught a few over the years while trolling for dolphin and have seen countless others free jumping. Beautiful fish at boatside when they are lit up in neon colors...good luck!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the size of the boat and the location you are fishing out of. Like ncdead said, down here in South FL you don't need to go far (less fuel used=cheaper). For example, I hooked but lost a sailfish off my kayak a few weeks ago and multiple people have landed them on kayaks within a couple miles of the beach, but in NC you have to make the run out which means more fuel burnt and less time fishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.