NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have an older Lowrance lcd depth finder that I am having trouble with. It will start out okay just idling along, but when I get planed out it starts flipping out. It will sometimes show the bottom, sometimes not. The last time I had it out, for some reason it would show 1.5 to 1.7 feet for awhile, then back to right, then back to blanking. It is an old unit, and I am looking to replace it anyway. Just wondered if it was actually messed up, or if there is something that I haven't though of. It is connected to my starting battery, and the transducer is below the bottom of the boat like it should be according to the Lowrance manual. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Don't have your answers, but would love to know what others will say. It is an old unit, so the electronics may be breaking down a bit. One other thought since it flips out while running could be a loose connection.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Couple of things.

Have you changed anything near the transducer that could be creating air bubbles or voids?

Some transducers have a breakaway feature where they pivot up if they hit something, if tripped then the transducer could be flopping around when on plane, just need to snap back into place. This happened to a friend of mine a couple of months ago.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
is it something you have just installed? Sounds like cavitation from the propwash, transducer too close to the prop. Also what has been previously recommended is a possibility. Check your cable for chaffing and your plug ins for corrosion too.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prop wash is what I suspect, seeing that it seems to be fine at slow speed. I think I may try to borrow another transducer to at least eliminate that as a problem. If it acts the same way, then I will have to try other things. I will also check cable for fraying and corrosion. I know these things operate on higher speed boats than mine, so just up to me to find the problem. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If this is a new to you boat or a new installation, it is possible that your transducer is out of the water when running or in turbulent water. If you have had this set up for a while and just started having problems it could be the transducer going bad. I wouldnt think prop wash would be a problem as the tranducer would be mounted forward of the prop unless it is on a boat with and inboard motor. If you are running much above idle speed you dont really get a good return of the bottom anyways and if you do see something it will be so far behind you your chances of going back to it are pretty slim.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I refer to all the turbulence created by the rotation of the prop and the exhaust etc, propwash, ( I know this isnt exactly right) it extends outward and backward. Cavitation etc, all the same to me. Thus my use fo the term. My first boat was fine at slow speeds and went nuts accelrating. Transducer was too close to the prop. I also had another that read fine trolling went nuts on plane. My tranducer was not parallel to the bottom when on plane. Sometimes you have to "guesstimate" how your boat sits on the water, not on the trailer, to get your adjustment right.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
These transducers aint like it used to be in the good ol days. You hardly ever used to hear of problems like this.
There was a good article in a past NC Sportsman about boat electronics. It was suggested with today's electronic packages you would be better off getting a dealer that is certified by the manufacturer of the equipment to install it.
I agree with that especially if you aren't electronic savvy. So much of this stuff needs clearance from antennae, This antennae needs to be this far from that antennae, wires need to be run a certain way and cross DC voltage wires a certain way. Numerous things to cause interference and make issues right on down to the mounting method and location. This aint the paper graph days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.