NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What depth finder would you guys recommend for a kayak? It will be going on an Ultimate FX12. And what are your suggestions for mounting it? I was looking at the YakAttack box that holds the battery and Scotty ball mount for the transducer and depth finder. I mainly fish rivers but I am starting to paddle some lakes, so I'm leaning toward buying a depth finder. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
think about the fishing you do and what you need to know? are you happy with bottom contour and water temp or do you want all the bells and whistles with side scan technology etc etc. The tech is so good now even a $99 unit does so much more than it did just 3 years ago. Do you need GPS? do you want to chart everything you do etc? And like all tech there are always used ones around where guys who want the latest and greatest have moved up.

Reactions: carolinamike

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have been looking into upgrading my own FF. What has come out of it is that I would like split screen and side imaging. SI comes with $$$ though. Down imaging dual sonar provides detail at a lower cost. Still making up my mind. The dragonfly 5m is on my list. The helix 5 by Hummingbird also. just suggestions as I am still looking.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Check out the Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp. It comes loaded with a lot of features at a reasonable price ($330 including map chip).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ppowell, that's exactly the one I was looking at, but they make several different models of the elite 4. Is a GPS really necessary on a kayak? I've always been a fan of Lowrance products but just not really sure what will best suit me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You might ask in the kayak forums. Really it depends on what type of fishing you do. I'm a bit new to the technology game - I've been using a standard fish finder and handheld gps. I use the GPS when I see fish I want to try, or a brush pile, or a creek bed, etc. I mark a way point and then I'm able to get back to that spot again. In the middle of the lake it all looks the same topside so without GPS and/or marker bouys you will quickly move off the fish :)

The problem with the fish-finder and hand-help GPS method is that sometimes you see something on the fish finder but by the time you mark the spot you've moved off that spot several feet. When you circle back around you often can't find it again even with the help of the hand-held gps. With a FF/GPS combo if you see something you can scroll back on the FF and mark that exact spot even if you've moved several yards from that spot, you can go right back to it again.

Also with the GPS and map chip you can see depth contours. You can see and find underwater points that would otherwise be very hard to find.

So really it boils down to what kind of fishing you do and how much you are willing to spend. There is nothing wrong with getting a decent cheaper model and then upgrading later.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Is a GPS really necessary on a kayak?
As far as I am concerned, yes.

You can carry a paper map of the lake or a handheld gps unit made for land or a system with a map of the lake, depths and all.

If you think you do not need it and will carry a handheld gps you might just as well get the FF with the map and gps stuff.

mikeski

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yep mikeski. I'm very frugal so I tend to ask "what is the minimal can I get by with and not have to spend a lot of money" :D I finally had to plop down $330 to get what I wanted. Previously it was a refurbished Lowrance black and white unit with no GPS for $85 and the most basic model hand-held GPS I've had for way too long. But hey, I saved a lot of money!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just mounted a lowrance 3x on mine. Sonar only, 3.5 inch color screen. 83/200khz. Shoot thru hull with the ducer. It's. Pretty nice unit for $99. Small and compact. Battery box and ducer are in the hull of the boat, head unit is mounted right at front hatch on a ride 135. It's a little further out then I wanted, but unless I put it on my gear trac it's basically the only spot to mount it with the stock base.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.