NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lived in Destin 18 years moved to WS 3 years ago April. I lived on Choctachee bay great for red fish and trout fished from my yak my back yard was the bay 3 miles east of mid bay bridge. Also fished the Gulf Pompano should be stating soon that was always good fishing and an occasional red in the surf was a great treat. Cobia will come in close during season but never caught one. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was there 25 years. fished all the water from Pensacola to destin ... cobia started already, but need to know the "rules" of the pier if that is what you gonna do... they can get a whole lot MAD at people that don't know what they are doing.. surf fishingis great most of the time... large pompano.... inshore trout and redfish are doing great.... the net ban helped that area... I don't know if it is still in effect or not... enjoy your trip....... I do miss that place..............

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went Surf fishing there 2 years ago and did great I caught blues, pomp, permit, whiting, sea trout, red, all off of shrimp and sand fleas I fished during September though. Hope this helps. I was in Okaloosa Island which is 5 mins across the bridge from Destin.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My brother lives in Destin. He is a yacht delivery skipper and knows a lot of the local captains; if you are looking for a trip, he could probably make suggestions. As mentioned earlier, Choctawhatchee Bay is good. The river right around and just above the tidal zone has large panfish in big numbers if you care for that (I do :) ). It's a bit early for sails and king but they are often only a few hundred yards off the beach. I like Norriego Point a lot, but parking can be tough. It's a little beach park right at the inlet. Fishing can be really good there. Check the tides; when it is coming in or high, it's crystal clear like the Bahamas there. When it is going out sometimes you can't see your feet in waist deep water. I have family up and down the Panhandle; writing this is making me want to visit...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I was there 25 years. fished all the water from Pensacola to destin ... cobia started already, but need to know the "rules" of the pier if that is what you gonna do... they can get a whole lot MAD at people that don't know what they are doing.. surf fishingis great most of the time... large pompano.... inshore trout and redfish are doing great.... the net ban helped that area... I don't know if it is still in effect or not... enjoy your trip....... I do miss that place..............
Gill net ban survived another court challenge just a few days ago.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Running monologue continues...

I forgot to mention one reason I like Norriego Point so much is the little jetties there. Link below is about snorkeling; when the tide is right the clarity is really good. Anyway, the page lists a few nearby jetty locations:
http://www.floridaadventuring.com/destin-jetties.html

Another reason I forgot to mention is the park is a good multi-purpose destination; nice beach in general and one of those places where you can vary the type of fishing you are doing by walking a short distance (like Ft Macon). It even makes a list of top local beaches (not at the top, but it is there):
http://www.destin-fla-wanderer.com/best-beaches-Destin.html

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the info. Did you ever fish near Topsail Hill Preserve State Park or Grayton Beach State Park. I was also curious about the deal with the Santa Rosa Beach section. Seems like that's where the really good fishing is but there isn't a ton of info about it. Looks like a lot of it is owned by the military too. I think my father in law still has his Military ID, would that get me in?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I don't know those specifically. I have some FL Panhandle bias from nostalgia, but IME it is hard to find bad fishing down there. What generally makes spots bad there is poor access or other activity that doesn't mix well with fishing. My uncles used to go fishing the day of a fish fry. In warm weather, fishing for panfish near Ebro or pompano on the beach was pretty dependable (basically harvesting). Specs were a little trickier and could be fickle at times but if they ever took me fishing and nothing was caught I must have blocked the memory... :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know those specifically. I have some FL Panhandle bias from nostalgia, but IME it is hard to find bad fishing down there. What generally makes spots bad there is poor access or other activity that doesn't mix well with fishing. My uncles used to go fishing the day of a fish fry. In warm weather, fishing for panfish near Ebro or pompano on the beach was pretty dependable (basically harvesting). Specs were a little trickier and could be fickle at times but if they ever took me fishing and nothing was caught I must have blocked the memory... :)
That's good to know. I keep hearing about pompano. I've never fished for them before. You think they'll take small clousers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.