NC Angler Forums banner

Different Baitfish

Saltwater 
3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Topsail Angler 
#1 ·
I've been inshore fishing for a while and thought that minnows were minnows... However, someone emphatically argued w/ me that they weren't without offering an explanation. So anyhoo, what's the difference between Mud minnows, pogies, cigar minnows, and other bait fish around? Are some better thatn others? Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 ·
Minnow is generally a term used to refer to a small fish used for bait. There are many different kinds (species) of fish refered to as minnows. Some of the baitfish species have the word minnow in their name, however not all baitfish are called minnows. Not all fish called minnows are even related to each other (unlike most types of jacks being related to other fish with that same name or mackerels, etc). To make it worse, the same fish will have different names in different parts of the country. So it can be a bit confusing.

As to your question regarding if some are better than others, it depends on what you are fishing for. Use the type baitfish that the fish you are targeting would normally eat. So if your are trying to catch a Kingfish you would use a pogie, greenback or cigar minnow for bait. A mud minnow probably would not work as well. However for a flounder a mud minnow would work fine whereas a pogie (menhaden) maybe a bit too large.

For saltwater baits, check out this link: http://www.flfish.com/baitfish/index.htm

Hope this helps without opening a "can of worms" :D

#3 ·
I'll second that with one minor exception. Flounder LOVE baby pogies. In early summer when they are schooling in the sounds they are a top bait for flounder. Lots of folks call them by different names as Hampstead indicated.They are most commonly known as menhaden but some of the folks call them peanut shad when they are flounder bait size. When you hear someone call them peanut shad, baby pogies, juvenile menhaden or baby bunkers or little fatbacks they are talking about the same species: atlantic menhaden. They are soft and oily without having sharp spines and they are a top forage fish. Any predator fish in the 1-10 lb range will eat them. Now how's that for a can of worms? :D

The next can of worms are anchovies. Common names for the bay anchovy are rain minnows, glass minnows and silversides. They also are a top forage species. Shoot no wonder you were confused we are just getting started. LOL AL

#5 ·
A good way to decide on the type of minnow to fish with is to use whatever you can catch in a cast net close to where you plan to fish.

Al, thanks for reminding me of the good ole silversides. I made up a couple for my fall fly arsenal today. They might be a limited edition as I spilled some epoxy on carpet and this may cause some lumps on my head.:D

#6 ·
Thanks ya'll, It's tough to determine B/W these things due to said size and location and such. Again, thanks for the input and I hope this storm is not doing too much damage to ya'lls places. Only reason I'm still awake is to make sure my dock stays intact!!! Good luck Ya'll!!!:) :D :D

#7 ·
fojoloy said:
A good way to decide on the type of minnow to fish with is to use whatever you can catch in a cast net close to where you plan to fish.

Al, thanks for reminding me of the good ole silversides. I made up a couple for my fall fly arsenal today. They might be a limited edition as I spilled some epoxy on carpet and this may cause some lumps on my head.:D
Nice looking lures there Forrest! Hope you didn't get an lumps on the head ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.